Monday, August 20, 2012

Review: Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols

Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols
Release Date: July 10, 2012
Publisher: MTV Books 
Source: Library 
A sexy and poignant romantic tale of a young daredevil pilot caught between two brothers.

High school senior Leah Jones loves nothing more than flying. While she’s in the air, it’s easy to forget life with her absentee mother at the low-rent end of a South Carolina beach town. When her flight instructor, Mr. Hall, hires her to fly for his banner advertising business, she sees it as her ticket out of the trailer park. And when he dies suddenly, she’s afraid her flying career is gone forever.

But Mr. Hall’s teenage sons, golden boy Alec and adrenaline junkie Grayson, are determined to keep the banner planes flying. Though Leah has crushed on Grayson for years, she’s leery of getting involved in what now seems like a doomed business--until Grayson betrays her by digging up her most damning secret. Holding it over her head, he forces her to fly for secret reasons of his own, reasons involving Alec. Now Leah finds herself drawn into a battle between brothers--and the consequences could be deadly. *Summary from author site.**
Review: 
Since I read Love Story, I’ve been a big fan of Jennifer Echols. She has such a great writing style and I love her stories in general. After I began seeing such amazing reviews of Such a Rush, I knew I had to check it out! After reading Such a Rush though, I have mixed feelings about it. While I loved Leah and everything about flying, I wasn’t the biggest fan of…a lot of things.

For beginners, I LOVED Leah. She’s so tough and real and wonderful and so many more things! Even though she’s had a hard life, she pulls through some how. Her determination to survive was inspiring and it really made me feel for her. Her love for flying was also something I loved about Such a Rush. Jennifer Echols wrote all the flying scenes so flawlessly. I could feel Leah’s love of being in the air and it was wonderful.

I had some issues with the plot and some of the other characters, both of which go together. First of all, I wasn’t the biggest fan of Grayson or Alec. I understand that both lost their father but I felt that both were (Grayson especially) …really mean to Leah. The whole “on one condition” aspect, while admirable (I mean, one of them wanted to help his brother!), got to me. Why would Grayson make Leah do such a thing? It really strained the whole sexual tension between Leah and one of the brother’s, which I would have liked otherwise. It’s just, Leah’s had a tough life and I guess I wanted her to have something good in her life, without having some sort of condition attached. Her best friend was also someone I couldn’t stand (I even forgot her name.) No one should be treated by her best friend like Leah was and I just didn’t like it at all. See exactly how invested I got with Leah and her life? I wanted to hug her and tell her everything would be okay.

Overall, I enjoyed Such a Rush and I am happy that this is Jennifer Echols’ hardback book. My issues could have been overlooked but they did get under my skin on too many times. Such a rush was a quick, sexy, and ingrossing read! I will continue to read Jennifer Echols’ future books!
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
I actually really do love this cover! The way her hair is flying, it makes me think of all the adrenaline that comes with flying and it fits the book perfectly! 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS