Wednesday, August 01, 2012

Review: Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley

Where I Belong by Gwendolyn Heasley
Release Date: February 8, 2011 
Publisher: Harper Teen  
Source: Library 
Meet Corrinne. She's living every girl's dream in New York City—shopping sprees at Barneys, open access to the best clubs and parties, and her own horse at the country club. Her perfect life is perfectly on track. At least it was. . . .

When Corrinne's father is laid off, her world suddenly falls apart. Instead of heading to boarding school, she's stripped of her credit cards and shipped off to the boonies of Texas to live with her grandparents. On her own in a big public school and forced to take a job shoveling manure, Corrinne is determined to get back to the life she's supposed to be living. She doesn't care who she stomps on in the process. But when Corrinne makes an unlikely friend and discovers a total hottie at work, she begins to wonder if her life B.R.—before the recession—was as perfect as it seemed.
Review: 
Y’all, sometimes, you need to read a book where you know everything that is going to happen. From the second you read the summary, you know the entire plot but you need a pick me up novel. Where I Belong is just that. Not the best book out there and certainly clichéd, but it’s still a “make up feel good” type of book.

Form the beginning, Corrinne is the girl you want to hate. She’s obnoxious and oblivious and stuck up. So when she’s got to move from her large city, glamorous life style to a small town, her reactions are predictable. She’s not going to like it and will constantly complain. Surprisingly, I found some (a very little portion, but I did find some) of me in Corrinne. Like her, I had to move from a large city (Atlanta) when my dad got a new job to the middle of nowhere. I felt her pain at the new place where everyone knew everyone else; their grandparents had gone to school together even! That sort of environment is hard to settle into but again, I knew that Corrinne would eventually. So yes, the plot was in one word: obvious.

Corrinne and the rest of the cast of characters were just what I was expecting: from the hard working mother and father, to the amazing grandparents, to that one girl in the small town who is really nice and that one football player that is destined to get out and make it big! BUT: Corrine seems to go through no change what so ever. No matter who is nice to her, she never changes her demeanor and I just didn't like that. She was mean and hateful throughout this entire book! AND: cliches, cliches everywhere! From the names to their actions, these characters are not real but very cliche!  

Overall, Where I Belong was a clichéd novel that was an okay novel. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I just read it and enjoyed it as much as I could, which was not a lot. Though thoroughly predictable, Gwendolyn Heasley has an interesting novel in Where I Belong. I will say that some of the names were...not what I was expecting. The took the whole "Southern" name very seriously.
Rating:
2/5
Cover Comments: 
I actually like it a lot. It gives the feel of the novel but I do think it's a little misleading. The story is more focused on Corrinne and her struggle to cope with the move and while there is romance, it's not as prominent as the cover suggests. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS