Sunday, October 14, 2012

Review: Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman

Babe in Boyland by Jody Gehrman
Release Date: February 17, 2011 
Publisher: Dial  
Source: Author 
When high school junior Natalie-or Dr. Aphrodite, as she calls herself when writing the relationship column for her school paper-is accused of knowing nothing about guys and giving girls bad relationship advice, she decides to investigate what guys really think and want. But the guys in her class won't give her straight or serious answers. The only solution? Disguising herself as a guy and spending a week at Underwood Academy, the private all-boy boarding school in town. There she learns a lot about guys and girls in ways she never expected-especially when she falls for her dreamy roommate, Emilio. How can she show him she likes him without blowing her cover?
Review: 
I have wanted to read Babe in Boyland since I heard about it last year. I knew it was going to be a light, fun times read yet it was more enjoyable than I thought. It's not the most unique plot (you've seen it all before) but it's a book that will make you laugh and it's a good read!

Babe in Boyland reminded me of She's the Man because they had the same plot idea but it was more like Never Been Kissed. Babe in Boyland is about Natalie, an advice columnist at her school's newspaper and after giving bad advice, she decides to figure out how guys really thing. Going undercover seems like the best option but the week at an all boys boarding school is harder than it seems. I'm going to admit that I knew pretty much everything that was going to happen but that didn't take away from the amusement. Babe in Boyland turned out to be a book where you knew everything that was going to happen but it was still fun to read!

Natalie was a great character to read about. She's funny and quirky and is able to laugh at herself, which was surprising and refreshing. She's willing to do whatever it takes to get. Good report for her reader and her adventures were fun to read about! Her two best friends Darcy and Chloe were fantastic too. Always there for Natalie, the girls helped her get though an entire week as a boy! Also, I liked how they would get into an argument, fight, and even ignore each other but they ended up as friends again. It was a really strong friendship that I loved to read about!

Emilio was a pretty great guy but I wasn't completely in love with him. At times, he seemed really defensive and while I understood that it was his sisters, I didn't think he needed to get so strung up. For example, when "Nate" is hesitant to go out with Emilio's sister, Emilio automatically assumes it's because "Nate" doesn't like Mexican girls. At this point, I just wanted to shake my head. BUT that said, I did like Emilio. He was sweet and sensitive and well, a thither guy!

So, overall, Babe in Boyland was a fun, cute book. I read it when I was bored and it was just what I needed!
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
Ah, well, this cover is simply meh. I like the mustache and how it matches the book but it seems all so...stereotypical. It's nothing new and nothing special really. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS