Monday, October 01, 2012

Review: Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook

Unraveling Isobel by Eileen Cook
Release Date: January 3, 2012 
Publisher: Simon Pulse 
Source: Library 
"Thrilling and creepy, super sexy, and so very hilarious." --Lisa McMann, bestselling author of the Wake trilogy

Isobel’s life is falling apart. Her mom just married some guy she met on the internet only three months before, and is moving them to his sprawling, gothic mansion off the coast of nowhere. Goodbye, best friend. Goodbye, social life. Hello, icky new stepfather, crunchy granola town, and unbelievably good-looking, officially off-limits stepbrother.

But on her first night in her new home, Isobel starts to fear that it isn’t only her life that’s unraveling—her sanity might be giving way too. Because either Isobel is losing her mind, just like her artist father did before her, or she’s seeing ghosts. Either way, Isobel’s fast on her way to being the talk of the town for all the wrong reasons.
Review: 
Well, I will tell the truth right off the bat: I chose to read Unraveling Isobel because it was short. I knew that it was simply going to be a fun read that wasn't going to be mind blowing or completely original but that's okay. Unraveling Isobel was a fun yet predictable read that has ghosts, a creepy house, and an interesting cast of characters.

Lets start with the characters. Isobel is incredibly angry at her mom for marrying a guy she met like six months ago and I felt her pain. It's not a good decision on her mom's part and I could understand her dilemma but Isobel was an immature character in my opinion. For someone who is an older teen, she sounded like a freshman in high school and that was kinda annoying when she dealt with this development. Yes, I understand that her current situation is crappy but she could have tried a little. Nate was cute and funny at times and I felt bad for him since he's lost his family and rumors in a small town suck. But in such a short book, character development didn't happen and there didn't seem more to him. But I will admit: I liked the characters. I didn't love them but I enjoyed reading about them. They both had something to move on from and something to give to each other and that played off really well with them.

As for the plot, I predicted it. One aspect was truly creepy and unexpected to me but other wise, I guessed it all. Wether it be the constant characterization of a certain character as a bad person or their behavior, I guessed the villain right away. I'm usually easily scared but I read this one at night and I wasn't really scared out of my mind.

BUT I loved Eileen Cook's writing. Her words were weaved together in a way that reading this book was enjoyable. There was great depth to her writing and her control of the plot's pace and character and the mystery were handled well. I will be reading more from her in the future.

Overall, Unraveling Isobel wasn't the scariest book I've read but it was enjoyable none the less. Eileen Cook's writing is great and well controlled so I know that her other books should be enjoyable. Some found it scarier than I did so people should give it a chance.
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
I actually like this cover a lot but it's so misleading. It looks like the cover of a cute contemporary type novel but Unraveling Isobel is not! 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS