Monday, November 05, 2012

Review: Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Onyx (Lux #2) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: August 14, 2012 
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source: Borrowed  
Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…

Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.

Something worse than the Arum has come to town…

The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.

But then everything changes…

I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?

No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…
Review: 
If you haven’t read Obsidian yet, I’m not sure what is wrong with you. While they’re not amazing books in my opinion, I like reading them. They’re fun and quick to read and very enjoyable. Onyx, book two in the Lux series, dealt more with Daemon and Katy’s relationship with the alien aspect taking backseat. Though I had issues with this book, I felt like it accomplished its goal: it entertained me. Again, I didn’t love this book and I didn’t feel like this book was better than Obsidian and I did feel that it fell to the second book syndrome.

Onyx had a lot going on with the relationship between Katy and Daemon and I have to say: I didn’t like Daemon in this book. He was much more of a jerk and I didn’t understand half of his reasoning’s. Why did he act like such a ass all of a sudden? Along those lines, I was disappointed to learn that a new love interest for Katy was introduced. While yes, he did play a larger role in the plot, it was obvious he was there to add more friction and in turn, tension, between Katy and Daemon.

What I really want to know is: what happened to the kick ass Katy from Obsidian? Katy made stupid decisions left and right and it drove me insane! At one point, I stopped reading this book. She was whiney and annoying and didn’t seem to have a sense of danger. The biggest aspect that made me upset was the fact that Katy forgot all of her friends. No matter what, friends will always be there for you and Katy seemed to have forgotten about all of them. This new Katy, I didn’t like.

The alien plot line in Onyx was one of my favorite aspects. I hadn't figured out everything there was to know about these alines and Jennifer L. Armentrout had this way of surprising. Did I guess a lot of things about Katy and Daemon and his family? Yes. Yet somehow, the author was able to put in that excellent amount of "I think I know what's going to happen" with "I was not expecting that" to make me enjoy this book.

Overall, not as good as Obsidian but not completely horrible. I didn't like the Super Jackass Daemon in this book and I didn't like Katy either. The plot was my favorite part of this book and saved me from hating it! I do recommend you to pick up Obsidian if you haven't done so already!
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
It's purple! I think this cover is okay and I like that it fits with the other covers of the series but I can't help but feel that this is kind of like all these other YA book covers. Nothing really interesting on it and not one I would pick up off the shelves, sadly. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS