Wednesday, November 07, 2012

Review: Shadows (Lux #.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Shadows (Lux #.5) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: February 21, 2012 
Publisher: Entangled Teen
Source: Borrowed  
The last thing Dawson Black expected was Bethany Williams. As a Luxen, an alien life form on Earth, human girls are…well, fun. But since the Luxen have to keep their true identities a secret, falling for one would be insane.

Dangerous. Tempting. Undeniable.

Bethany can’t deny the immediate connection between her and Dawson. And even though boys aren’t a complication she wants, she can’t stay away from him. Still, whenever they lock eyes, she’s drawn in.

Captivated. Lured. Loved.

Dawson is keeping a secret that will change her existence...and put her life in jeopardy. But even he can’t stop risking everything for one human girl. Or from a fate that is as unavoidable as love itself.
Review: 
After having mixed feelings about both Obsidian and Onyx, my friend allowed me to read Shadows. I wasn’t sure what to expect. I actually didn’t want to read it. But this friend guarantied that I would love this book. And she was right. Shadows by Jennifer L. Armentrout was the book that I needed to read after the mellow Onyx.

I will admit I wished I had read this one before both Obsidian and Onyx. Maybe than I would have realized that Daemon wasn’t being a complete ass just to be an ass. He lost his twin brother and after meeting Dawson in this book, I can see how this would hurt someone a whole lot. Dawson, Dawson, Dawson, what can I say about you that hasn’t already been said? Dawson is the opposite of Daemon and while I like a good bad boy, a sweet boy like Dawson is ever better. It’s not just that he’s sweet and caring and loving, it’s the fact that he can be kick ass if he wants to be. Dawson loves his family but he loves Bethany also.

Bethany by the way surprised me. She isn’t kick ass like Katy but I liked a whole lot. Maybe it’s because she reminded me of me or maybe it’s because she’s an ordinary girl but I connected with her. Yet the best part for me was the light shone on Daemon, Dawson, and Dee’s relationship. Though each of their alternating perspectives, you can see how much they love each other and what they’re willing to do for one another. Their different personalities meshed together in perfect harmony and I couldn’t be happier. The events of Obsidian make so much more sense now and I’m glad I can love Daemon a little bit more.

Overall, Shadows was a fantastic prequel and after the ending in Onyx, I can’t wait to read more in the series now! I must warn readers: Shadows is much slower paced and a lot less action packed then the other two book. It’s fitting though since you’re trying to learn more about our favorite aliens as well as Bethany and Dawson’s relationship.
Rating:
4/5
Cover Comments: 
My favorite book of this series has a hot guy on the cover AND IT IS BLUE. Clearly, this cover was made for me. I will admit: it's like all the covers and nothing new really. But I love it nonetheless. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS