Monday, December 24, 2012

2012 in Review

Jamie of The Perpetual Page Turner came up with this end of year book survey!

Best in Books in 2012 

1. Best Book You Read In 2012? (You can break it down by genre if you want)
Contemporary YA: The Fault in our Stars, The Mockingbirds, Jellicoe Road
Fantasy: Seraphina
Historical Fiction: Code Name Verity
Middle Grade: The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of her Own Making

2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Easy by Tammara Webber: Did not see what any of the hype was about
For Darkness Shows the Stars: A Jane Austen re-telling yo.

3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2012?
Jellicoe Road: Wow was I not expecting this book but it blew me away!

4. Book you recommended to people most in 2012?
Jellicoe Road, Seraphina, Code Name Verity

5. Best series you discovered in 2012?
Obsidian: I honestly think this is the only new series I began this year!

6. Favorite new authors you discovered in 2012?
Melina Marchetta, Rachel Hartman

7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Er. None that I liked.

8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2012?
Jellicoe Road and Code Name Verity

9. Book You Read In 2012 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year:
Jellicoe Road
Code Name Verity

10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2012?
Tell me that it is not gorgeous. And it's a character of color and it wasn't white washed. 

11. Most memorable character in 2012?
Taylor from Jellicoe Road

12. Most beautifully written book read in 2012?
I feel like a broke record but Jellicoe Road. I stayed up for an entire night reading this amazing book! But I will admit: it's tied with The Fault in Our Stars

13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2012?
Code Name Verity: There was a lot about this book about life and living and how we take life for granted. There was a part in this book where I cried and I just...yeah.
The Mockingbirds and What Happens Next: These two are about rape and two of the best books from this year. I've never personally been affect by rape nor do I hope to be but I couldn't help but feel for the protagonists of these two books.

14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2012 to finally read?
 Which

15. Favorite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2012?
“My thoughts are stars I cannot fathom into constellations.”- The Fault in Our Stars
“I am no longer afraid of getting old. Indeed I can’t believe I ever said anything so stupid. So childish. So offensive and arrogant. But mainly, so very, very stupid. I desperately want to grow old.” - Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

16. Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2012?
Shortest: Losing It by Cora Carmack (204)
Longest: Bloodlines by Richelle Mead (421)

17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
1) Pandemonium’s ending: like WTFHAMFJDIJHRWGRFHR
2) THE LINE in Code Name Verity

18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2012 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
Maddie and Verity: their friendship. Just wow.

19. Favorite Book You Read in 2012 From An Author You Read Previously
Vessel hands down!

20. Best Book You Read That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
Jellicoe Road: by like every blogger out there!

Book Blogging/Reading Life in 2012 (optional) 

 1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2012?
Novel Sounds: This lady is extremely creative! Her posts are thoughtful and fun!
Ivy Book Bindings: I LOVE her writing and we tend to have a lot of things in common when it comes to books!

2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2012?
Jellivoe Road

3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
The Evolution of GoodReads and the Blogosphere in Last 4 Years: It didn't get a lot of love but I was very proud of it! 

4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
ANYTHING by Nicole at WORD for Teens and Harmony of Radiant Reads

5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
YALL FEST

6. Best moment of book blogging in 2012?
YALL FEST and WHEN STEPHANIE PERKINS GAVE ME A HUG.

7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)? 
My movie review for Dolphin Tale had the most views.....

8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?

What’s True in a REAL Teen’s Life: Cliques and BFFs: I was really honest with this post and I addressed a lot of what I'd seen in YA. 


9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)? 
All the bookish jewelry on Etsy! I can't list all of the places but man, scour Etsy and you'll find tons!

10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year? 
Did not read 100 books this year and I was very sad about it. I will admit: senior year turned out to be more hectic than expected and personal issues kept my mind occupied.

 Looking Ahead… 

 1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2012 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2013?
See I loved The Gemma Doyle books by Libba Bray but I never finished Going Bovine or Beauty Queens. I really wanted to read this one but didn't get the chance. 
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2013? 
AH. Yeah WAY too many to list. But I did a Top Ten Tuesday post!

3. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2013?
Make my personality shine on this blog. I'm the people pleaser and this past year, I've realized that I need to be me. I'm not always fun; sometimes I'm very serious and other times, I'm the biggest clown in the room. I focused so much of 2012 on being who others--colleges, teachers, friends, family, readers, publishers--wanted me to be that I just got really fed up.
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS