Monday, December 10, 2012

Review: The Boy Recession by Flynn Meany

The Boy Recession by Flynn Meany
Release Date: August 7, 2012 
Publisher: Poppy 
Source: Publisher 
Kendra has always felt overshadowed by her older brother, Grayson, whose OCD forces him to live a life of carefully coordinated routines. The only way Kendra can stand out next to Grayson is to be perfect, and she has perfection down to an art -- until a cheating scandal threatens her flawless reputation.

Behind the wheel of her car, with Grayson asleep beside her, Kendra decides to drive away from it all -- with enough distance, maybe she'll be able to figure everything out. But eventually, Kendra must stop running and come to terms with herself, her brother, and her past.

With undeniable grace and humor, acclaimed author Jennifer Brown explores OCD, the pressure for perfection, and the emotional highs and lows of a complex sibling relationship.
Review: 
There comes a time during your week when you're incredibly tired or bored and you just want something fun to read. This was how I was feeling when I began reading this book. I'll be honest; I wasn't expecting anything deep or overly sentimental from this book. I was hoping to be entertained and boy was I! The Boy Recession is a quick, funny, and adorable read that will make you smile and get you out of any reading funk.

The plot is self-explanatory and my only complaint was that this book was too short. I would have liked this book a lot more had the plot been expanded. Time flew by really fast and it didn't always work in this books favor. The chapter titles were a lot of fun to read and even seemed like little foreshadowers.

Characters are very important to me and in most cases, I don't like alternating perspectives. They make it harder for the reader to connect with the characters and it can be hard to distinguish the voices. While I didn't absolutely love both characters, I didn't dislike them either. Kelly was the girl-next-door and Hunter was surprisingly the laid back, cool guy. He was the one guy that people could be friends with and someone a girl might not automatically think as boyfriend material simply because…they were friends.

But overall, The Boy Recession was a speedy read that I read one a lazy day. It made me laugh and smile and while I predicted some things and thought others were cheesy, it didn’t dissolve my enjoyment of the novel. I think people should read this book for sure, especially when they are looking for a get-me-out-of-my-reading-funk kind of book.
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
It's actually pretty. While it's not the best cover, it fits the book perfectly! And there is something about the simplicity that just makes me very happy. I think these kinds of covers (where the title takes over the entire front) is going to be big in 2013. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS