Monday, December 17, 2012

Review: Half Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Half Blood (Covenant #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: October 18, 2011
Publisher: Spencer Hill Press 
Source: My sister won it a long time ago
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures. Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden. Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.
Review: 
It’s not often that you read a book where you opinions about it are utterly torn. For me, Half Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout is that book. On one hand, I enjoyed the book well enough but on the other, I couldn’t stand it. I want to say that the similarities this book had with one of my favorite series didn’t bother me but that would be a lie. It bothered me enough to make to stop reading this book and take a break. I spent an entire day away from this book before I resumed reading. And weeks sense, I still don’t’ know how I feel.

From the beginning, I knew to be cautious. Various reviews had warned me that there would be similarities but I was not expecting what I got. So much of Half Blood reminded me of Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead. Having read VA, I didn’t even need my book to compare the two: (Martha on GoodReads had a great list I liked):
Rose leaves the school with someone
Alex leaves the school with someone
Rose has Dimitri (who is a legend in the Dhamphir world) stand up for her
Alex has Aiden (who is a legend in the Pure blood world) stand up for her
Rose has Dimitri training her
Alex has Aiden training her
Rose has someone she cares about very much turn evil
Alex has someone she cares about very much turn evil
Rose has Dimitri find her and bring her back to the school
Alex has Aiden find her and bring her back to the school

And as Martha said, I could go on and on. But really, there is no need.

I also want to mention that I was bored throughout this entire book. Had it not been so similar to VA, maybe I wouldn’t have guessed everything from a mile away. I have this big thing about finishing books I start which was really why I read it. I wanted to know why people loved this book. Now I laugh any time someone says, “if you liked Vampire Academy, this is for you” or something similar beacasue really, people, call this book for what it really is.

Overall, I probably won’t be continuing this series further and am very disappointed. I really like Jennifer L. Armentrout’s Lux Series but this book? No. People have said it gets better and more original and I have half a mind to read it just to see how similar it is to Vampire Academy.
Rating:
1/5
Cover Comments: 
Oh, this cover. I think I remember reading something about a hibiscus flower in the book but again, I can't remember correctly. But honestly, pretty bad. I don't like it. 
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS