Tuesday, February 05, 2013

Vampire Academy's Rose and Body Image

Source
I love Vampire Academy. I know many who do not care for it but for me, Vampire Academy is a great series. I was overjoyed when I learned that Vampire Academy was going to be made into a movie and even more overjoyed when I saw that the three leads had been cast. Dimitri I was happy with, Lissa I do not like and Rose’s casting was the weirdest. At first I didn’t mind Zoey Deutch (who just happenes to be Lea Thompson's daughter!!!) but I still didn’t like her casting yet I could not figure out why.

It was after reading Adele’s short and to the point post about the casting that I realized that was my problem: Zoey didn’t fit the description of Rose and in this instance, that was something I didn’t like. Obviously these thoughts are mine and mine alone.

Source
From the beginning, we know a few things about Rose: she has boobs and thighs and isn't completely skinny and I think that the casting agents completely ignored this. I consider Rose to be a fantastic character in the fact that she is flawed but one of the best aspects about her would be her body image. She’s got boobs and thighs and is curvy but she can still kick your ass. She doesn’t need to be skinny to think herself as beautiful.

As I said, I read my first Vampire Academy books in the eighth grade. I was young and in middle school and for those of you who don’t know, self-esteem is not the highest during those times. At least, my self-esteem wasn’t big. So imagine the surprise of the 5’2’ girl with boobs and thighs who read about a strong willed, ass kicking girl who thought she was beautiful and was pretty much the coolest kid around?

That was years ago. I am 18 now and a senior in high school. But let me tell you: knowing that a girl like Rose Hathaway exists makes me happy. I can turn on the TV or watch a movie and all the girls will be super skinny. Skinnyskinnyskinny is what is considered hot and it’s something that I’ve always struggled with. I've got thighs and I'm not super skinny and I'm surrounded by skinny girls. While I love the way I look, I would be a liar to say (and I think anyone would be) that I am completely okay with the way I look and I never get self conscious of my figure.

Source 
Maybe Zoey will be a great actress. She might be the best Rose out there. But for me, she looks nothing like Rose. I highly doubt that self assurance Rose felt about her body will be present in the movie. For once, I was happy that for a girl these days, being beautiful didn't mean being incredibly skinny. It meant accepting how you look, no matter what, boobs and thighs and all.

Believe it or not, it's one of the things I love about Beyonce. This lady is not only a fantastic singer but just look at her! She's gorgeous! And she's curvy and has thighs (besides just having had a baby; or did they have the baby via surrogate?) and is okay with that. I mean, she preformed at the freakin' Super Bowl. I would think you'd have to be okay with the way you look to preform there.

I guess (like Adele), I am simply disappointed. But not surprised. Sadly, I'm not surprised.

Anyone else feel this way? What do you think about the casting?
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS