Monday, February 04, 2013

Why I Stopped Participating in Memes

Memes likes "Waiting On" Wednesday, Top Ten Tuesday, and Stacking the Shelves are immensely popular in the blogosphere and it's easy to see why: it's a great way to find and visit other blogs. As the blogosphere is growing everyday with new blogs all around the corner, it's a great tool to get people to visit your blog.

But I have stopped participating in these memes and I don't think I will participate in the near future.

I have realized that this could (and has) hurt my page views and all because a lot of people DO visit my blog. I visit theirs and they return the favor and all in well. Or was well in my case.

For the longest time, I loved finding new books for WoW. I was excited to see the new covers and synopsis' and I always liked when my GoodReads To Read list grew. I didn't want to miss ANY of the cools books out there. It was great for a long time. Until a year ago when I decided that I was going to stop posting WoWs.

It was not longer fun. It was all about getting the most page view hits and comments. In essence, I was making myself post a WoW, even if I didn't want to.

No matter what people say about the numbers not mattering, to a certain extent, they do matter. And for me, that was all memes were after a while. The posts were going up because I felt like I HAD to put one up. The last Wow post I did was in November 2012 and I can not tell you how amazing it felt to decide to not post one of those again.

I have not done a Stacking the Shelves post since December 9, 2012 and a TTT post since December 11 and it has been the most liberating aspect of blogging. Sure I might get back to it at some point but not for a while.

I still read Top Ten Tuesday posts and WoW posts but I've learned that it's not for me. I have a few of my own features I have put on hold. It was one of the best things I learned about my blog: I want to make it more about me.

I don't want to feel like I HAVE to put up a post and I just felt like memes did that for me.

What about you guys? Has anyone felt this way?
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS