Sunday, March 03, 2013

Review: Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Opal book 4 in the Lux series by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Opal (Lux #3) by Jennifer L. Armentrout
Release Date: December 11, 2012 
Publisher: Entangled Teen 
Source: Borrowed from Friend 
No one is like Daemon Black.

When he set out to prove his feelings for me, he wasn’t fooling around. Doubting him isn’t something I’ll do again, and now that we’ve made it through the rough patches, well... There’s a lot of spontaneous combustion going on.

But even he can’t protect his family from the danger of trying to free those they love.

After everything, I’m no longer the same Katy. I’m different... And I’m not sure what that will mean in the end. When each step we take in discovering the truth puts us in the path of the secret organization responsible for torturing and testing hybrids, the more I realize there is no end to what I’m capable of. The death of someone close still lingers, help comes from the most unlikely source, and friends will become the deadliest of enemies, but we won’t turn back. Even if the outcome will shatter our worlds forever.

Together we’re stronger... and they know it.
Review: 
While I thought both Obsidian and Onyx were good books, Opal is a great book. Amazing even. By far the best Lux novel to date, Opal is one heck of a crazy ride with twists and turns at every corner. The character development is astounding and the plot is engaging. In all essence, Opal is everything everyone has said it is.

Starting of with the character: oh my word the development! In Onyx, one of the changes I didn’t like was the change in Katy’s character. She wasn’t the kick ass, spunky girl I had met in Obsidian but in Opal, she was kick ass and than some. Katy was exceptionally strong and vulnerable and none of her emotions seemed fake or forced. When she needed to be strong, she was strong enough to satisfy the situation but she didn’t lose that little touch of vulnerability that makes Katy Katy. Hopefully that makes sense. She’s now more than capable of keeping herself safe and she truly can kick some ass.

Daemon has to get his own paragraph because honestly, I wasn’t the biggest fan of his in Obsidian and I almost loathed him in Onyx. But in Opal, Daemon was a changed man and changed for the better. He was nicer and sweeter and much less of a jerk and his relationship with Katy flourished. One of the best moments in this entire novel for me was when Daemon protected Katy but at a distance. He finally, in my opinion, truly saw Katy as an equal and accepted that she can protect herself without him. I feel like the two of them created a far stronger bond then ever before and after that cliffhanger, I think the bond might be the only salvation for whatever happens next.

After all of the events that transpired in Obsidian and Onyx, I wasn’t sure what Armentrout would do next with the plot but I wasn’t expecting what I got. The plot was fantastic and I was very, very engaged in everything that was happening. I furiously flipped the pages (or tapped? I read it on my iPad) to find out what would happen next, my mind racing and palms sweating. I knew there was a huge cliffhanger and thankfully, no one ruined it for me! And yes, I too will say it: what a cliffhanger indeed! For the first time in a long time, I felt like the cliffhanger actually helped the book. After so much had already happened, had Armentrout continued the plot in this book, it would have been information overload!

Jennifer L. Armentrout’s writing continues to improve with every book and I must say that I am very impressed. The writing was less choppy then before and the sentences flowed without problems!

Overall, Opal is my favorite of Jennifer L. Armentrout’s books that I have read and the best yet in the Lux series. I sincerely can’t wait to see what happens in the next (and final?) Lux novel but after that cliffhanger, anything would be good! The writing improved, both Katy and Daemon were multidimensional and lovable but kick ass at the same time. The cliffhanger was killer and I am eagerly awaiting book 4 in the Lux series!
Rating:
4.5/5
Cover Comments: 
First thoughts: I like that they're keeping the whole Daemon and Katy thing. 
Comments: I kind of find their postures awkward but oh well. It's actually my favorite cover in the series!  
Reviews Around Blogosphere: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS