Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Review: Trinkets by Kirsten Smith

Trinkets by Kirsten Smith
Release Date: March 12th 2013
Publisher: Little, Brown 
Source: Publisher for Review via Netgalley 
Sixteen-year-old Moe's Shoplifters Anonymous meetings are usually punctuated by the snores of an old man and the whining of the world's unhappiest housewife. Until the day that Tabitha Foster and Elodie Shaw walk in. Tabitha has just about everything she wants: money, friends, popularity, a hot boyfriend who worships her...and clearly a yen for stealing. So does Elodie, who, despite her goodie-two-shoes attitude pretty much has "klepto" written across her forehead in indelible marker. But both of them are nothing compared to Moe, a bad girl with an even worse reputation.

Tabitha, Elodie, and Moe: a beauty queen, a wallflower, and a burnout-a more unlikely trio high school has rarely seen. And yet, when Tabitha challenges them to a steal-off, so begins a strange alliance linked by the thrill of stealing and the reasons that spawn it.

Hollywood screenwriter Kirsten Smith tells this story from multiple perspectives with humor and warmth as three very different girls who are supposed to be learning the steps to recovery end up learning the rules of friendship.
Review: 
Trinkets was a book I normally wouldn't read. Shoplifting? No thanks. But when I decided to give it a chance and I'm still unsure if I liked this book or not. For one, the book is told through the three different point of views: Elodie's are in verse, Moe's are in shot, diary formats, and Tabitha's are in normal paragraph form. I've always been hesitant about books told in dual (or in this case, triple) POVs because it's rare that actual character development occurs and sadly, that seemed the case with trinkets as well.

As I said, Trinkets was told through the point of views of Elodie, Moe, and Tabitha and this book itself was rather short. The plot surrounded the beginning friendship of these three girls who seem to have nothing in common. When all three meet at Shoplifters Anonymous, they become friends gradually. I think one aspect that bugged me was the continuation of theft, even after entering SA. In many cases, like excessive drinking, I couldn’t really understand how these girls could feel better after shoplifting. Sadly, the plot focused more on the girls becoming friends and their own issues and the problem of shoplifting took a seat back. Hopefully that made sense.

In all honesty, Elodie was the only character I actually liked. For one, Moe just seemed angry for no reason what so ever and her short diary entries made it hard to understand her. Tabitha, on the other hand, really does not have any reason to shoplift but does it so she won’t owe her father any money. That reasoning really didn’t make any sense to me but even after that, I didn’t hate her. Elodie, like I mentioned, was my favorite of the girls and I guess it’s because I connected to her. While I wasn’t ever on the newspaper staff, I always (feel?) felt like I was in the in-between at school. Not only that, but I remember being the new girl in school and how hard that was.

I do think I have to say something about the writing though because somehow Kirsten Smith managed to write a book in three point of views with various serious issues (death of a parent, being new, etc.) and the book was still enjoyable. Trinkets was a rather fast read and it many aspect, I did enjoy reading about the girls. While Elodie was the one I connected with (besides the death of a parent), I didn’t mind Moe or Tabitha all that much. Even though all three girls didn’t have any reason to be shoplifting, I felt like Kirsten Smith wrote them in a way that I didn’t completely dislike them.

Overall, Trinkets was a quick read that could have easily been heavy and boring but was enjoyable. While dual (or in this book’s case, triple) point of views seems to not work for me, I didn’t completely dislike it in this book. In an essence, it even worked for Trinkets, which is rare, in my opinion.
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
First thoughts: Eh. Not really interesting. 
Comments: Hmm. If there was one more girl, it might fit the book more but overall, it's an okay cover. Not one, honesty, that I would pick up from the bookstore. 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS