Thursday, April 25, 2013

Mini-Review: Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality by Elizabeth Eulberg

Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality by Elizabeth Eulberg
Release Date: March 1, 2013 
Publisher: Point 
Source: Publisher for Review via NetGalley 
A hilarious new novel from Elizabeth Eulberg about taking the wall out of the wallflower so she can bloom.

Don't mess with a girl with a great personality!

Everybody loves Lexi. She's popular, smart, funny...but she's never been one of those girls, the pretty ones who get all the attention from guys. And on top of that, her seven-year-old sister, Mackenzie, is a terror in a tiara, and part of a pageant scene where she gets praised for her beauty (with the help of fake hair and tons of makeup).

Lexi's sick of it. She's sick of being the girl who hears about kisses instead of getting them. She's sick of being ignored by her longtime crush, Logan. She's sick of being taken for granted by her pageant-obsessed mom. And she's sick of having all her family's money wasted on a phony pursuit of perfection.

The time has come for Lexi to step out from the sidelines. Girls without great personalities aren't going to know what hit them. Because Lexi's going to play the beauty game - and she's in it to win it.
Review: 
I have read every single book Elizabeth Eulberg has published and I’ve enjoyed them all immensely, but her debut, The Lonely Hearts Club is my absolute favorite. But this review is about Revenge of the Girl with the Great Personality and I have to admit, I knew what to expect. A light, fun read that would be a great read simply for entertainment and that is what I got. But it was probably my least favorite of Elizabeth Eulberg’s books.

Lexi, the main protagonist wasn’t the best and not what I had expected from Eulberg’s book. First, she had no self-confidence and her self-esteem seemed to be to non-existent. She didn’t wear make up so of course it made her ugly. How could she possibly be considered good looking if she never put on make up? Along those lines, I hated that she thought any time a guy would notice her would be if she acted like “one of the guys.” I wanted to grab her and say NO that is not how it should be! While I wanted more development, I knew what was going to happen. While I understand that being around her sister and girls who are in pageants, I really hoped she would arrive at her “realizations” earlier.

Her mother, by the way, will probably get the award for worst mother EVER. She’s one of those Dance Mom like people who I can’t stand. She pretty much ignores Lexi and treats her six (or seven?) year old daughter like a princess. While I’m not a mother or anything, the mother was selfish and very, very lost. I honestly think she needed some therapy to get over her divorce and anything else that was bugging her.

I wasn’t sure what the plot would bring but I got what I wanted: entertainment. Sure the plot was superficial and could have been developed much, much more, I enjoyed reading the book. I was in a reading slump and this book was quick read, something that helped me get out of my funk. I think something else that bugged me was the ending. There were so many loose, untied ends that left me questioning what happened. On another hand, I wasn’t as upset with it. The story was about Lexi and life doesn’t have the complete endings all the time.

Overall, not as impressed with this book as I had been with The Lonley Hearts Club. I have faith in Elizabeth Eulberg (and she used a Friday Night Lights reference to the love interest’s name!) so I will continue to read her books. I truly hope her books become better though!
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
First thoughts: Eh. 
Comments: Eh. Boring. I need something different. I've usually liked all of Elizabeth Eulberg's covers but this one is just so boring!
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS