Tuesday, April 09, 2013

Review: Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway

Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway
Release Date: April 10, 2008 
Publisher: Razorbill
Source: Library
California high school student Audrey Cuttler dumps self-involved Evan, the lead singer of a little band called The Do-Gooders. Evan writes, “Audrey, Wait!” a break-up song that’s so good it rockets up the billboard charts. And Audrey is suddenly famous!

Now rabid fans are invading her school. People is running articles about her arm-warmers. The lead singer of the Lolitas wants her as his muse. (And the Internet is documenting her every move!) Audrey can't hang out with her best friend or get with her new crush without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi.

Take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, has outrageous amounts of fun, confronts her ex on MTV, and gets the chance to show the world who she really is.
Review: 
After having read and loved Robin Benway’s sophomore novel, The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June, I decided that I would get her debut novel Audrey, Wait! This is a novel that I have heard nothing but amazing things about so I was eager to see how I would like it. I learned some things while reading this book: 1) I don’t listen to enough American music since each chapter in this book had song lyrics and I only knew a few of the bands and 2) I really like Robin Benway’s writing. In all honesty, I have no idea when I began or finished this novel because I flew through it!

The writing and the narration are the best parts of this novel. From the very beginning, I became invested in Audrey’s story and her narration carried the book with a surprising gust of life. Audrey was spunky and sarcastic and awkward and I could relate to her very well. She’s a usually happy person who is loud and sometimes all over the place, just like me. I smiled and laughed my way through this book. But what I loved most was that it didn’t feel like I was reading a book but that I was there with Audrey, seeing all the events of her life happening as a fellow viewer.

The plot was surprising to be sure. While the idea that your boyfriend might be in a band and he might write a song about you that would become a big hit (Taylor Swift songs anyone?) seems superficial, Robin Benway carried it though with sincerity and honesty, something that I appreciated. The society and paparazzi depicted in this book seemed familiar. A simple hug with a friend could be turned into something completely different and I loved Audrey’s reaction to it all.

Yet Audrey, Wait! did have a flaw and that was the subtle superficiality of it all. As mentioned above, a lot of the book was realistic but some of it bugged me. For example, Audrey’s relationship with her parents: On a side note, I loved seeing her parents in this book. They were a big part of Audrey’s life and I appreciated that they had a relationship with their daughter. But the relationship was too, for a lock of better word, good. Too many of their arguments were resolved easily for me to feel like yes, this is how it’s really like. Even if a teen has a good relationship with their parents, they have arguments that make no sense and sometimes are not resolved for hours, even days. Really, most of the conflicts in this book between characters were resolved perfectly and within days of occurring. It just didn’t feel real.

If you know me at all, you know that I am a die hard romantic. Really, I am. So the romance in Audrey, Wait! Was cheesy and sweet and I loved it. There was something so real about Audrey and her love interest’s relationship. Besides the issues resolving quickly, their banter and awkward moments were adorable and real. I kid you not, I awed and smiled like a crazy person at certain parts of this novel.

Overall, I’ve become a big fan of Robin Benway’s. Her writing is funny and real and her characters are worth rooting for. While certain aspects did bug me, Audrey, Wait! is just as good as everyone says it is. While the cover and synopsis do not do this book justice, believe me when I say that Audrey, Wait! has heart. I dare you to read this book and not smile!
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
First thoughts: Bleh. 
Comments: Nope. Not a fan of this cover AT ALL. Had it not been for the author and the fact that it's such a talked about book, I would have never picked up with book based on that cover!  
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS