Monday, May 20, 2013

Adult Review: Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson #1) by Patricia Briggs
Release Date: January 31, 2006 
Publisher: Ace
Source: Library 
Mercy Thompson’s next next-door neighbor is a werewolf. She’s tinkering with a VW bus that happens to belong to a vampire. But then, Mercy Thompson is not exactly normal herself…

Mercy is a shapeshifter, and though she was raised by werewolves, she can never be one of them, especially after the pack ran her off for having a forbidden love affair. So she’s turned her talent for fixing cars into a business and now runs a one-woman mechanic shop in the Tri-Cities area of Washington State.

But Mercy’s two worlds are colliding. A half-starved teenage boy arrives at her shop looking for work, only to reveal that he’s a newly Changed werewolf – on the run and desperately trying to control his animal instincts. Mercy asks her neighbor Adam Hauptman, the Alpha of the local werewolf pack, for assistance.

But Mercy’s act of kindness has unexpected consequences that leave her no choice but to seek help from those she once considered family – the werewolves who abandoned her…
Review: 
I have become addicted to adult urban fantasy books, all of which I owe to my friend Keertana. Initially, when I was told that Mercy Thompson was just as good as the Kate Daniels books, I was skeptical. I rarely read adult books at the time and Kate Daniels had won over my heart. Surprisingly (or not), Mercy Thompson has also become a favorite. Though Moon Called wasn't as fast paced or action packed as I had hoped, I still very much enjoyed it. The world created by Patricia Briggs drew me in and kept my attention. I even loved all of the politics of the world. In all honestly, I have the next three books in this series and I can't wait for more!

Mercy Thompson is different from Kate Daniels in many ways. First, she's a mechanic and secondly, she's a shapeshifter (not a werewolf). Yet Mercy Thompson is just as kick ass as Kate but Mercy and I didn't connect right away. I felt it was because she isn't as spontaneous as Kate and she thinks more about how to handle a problem before just getting into the action. Maybe it was because at times, I found myself getting bored with Mercy. Either way, I wasn't as drawn to Mercy's story as I was Kate's. But Mercy is sassy and snarky and funny and I loved her voice but sadly, she can't top Kate Daniels. While it may seem wrong to compare the two, I can't help it! While I can relate to Mercy a little bit more, I can relate to Kate on a different level.

I should mention the plot because I expected it to be very formulaic and while it wasn't the most original, as I said, I liked the politics. I'm sure that I'll learn more about the world and how all of the rules work but for the first book, I was interested. Some aspects of the plot did surprise me but a lot of times, I was rather bored, which sucks. I guess I wanted more...action. Also, I wanted more romance! I liked Adam well enough but I just didn't swoon over him. There is also a hint at a love triangle so imagine my surprise about the utter lack of drama present! Along those times, how old is Adam exactly? I know age shouldn't be a big factor but he does have a 15 year old daughter and Mercy from what I know is in her twenties.

Overall, I liked Moon Called well enough. I will be continuing with the series and am hoping for the best but we'll see how it goes. I had some issues with Patricia Briggs writing as well since some of it was bland and boring and other things were too awkward. When an urban fantasy series becomes an utter favorite, it's hard yo not compare, as is the case with Kate Daniels and Mercy Thompson.
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
What the hell is that? Moon Called (and ALL of Mercy Thompson books) has a cover that I would be ashamed to be seen out with in public. Honestly, it's dreadfully ugly and very stereotypical of adult urban fantasy books: some sexy girl whose boobs are showing and has tattoos and is in a defiant pose! Not to mention a sultry look on the girl's face! 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS