Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Armchair BEA: Intro + Classics!

armchair bea

From the site!
How is it time for Armchair BEA already?! And as usual, I'm late! But as they say: better late than never! So here is my introduction post! Here are the 5 questions I answered for today!

Introduction 

Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?
I'm Kailia and no it's not my real name! I've been blogging for almost 5 years now! I began blogging because I wanted to talk to people about the books I read. Most of my friends aren't the biggest readers so I needed a place to talk!
Have you previously participated in Armchair BEA? What brought you back for another year? If you have not previously participated, what drew you to the event?
I have participated before and I wasn't able to make it to BEA this year and school is about to be out so I thought why not again this year?
What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2013?
I'm currently reading Blood Bound, the second book in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs! As for my favorite, it's a toss up between Daughter of the Forest and Sloppy Firsts!
If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?
I could be obvious and say J.K. Rowling or Jane Austen or Tolkin but I'm going with Alexandre Dumas who wrote the amazing The Count of Monte Cristo. I'd love to see how a man could actually write such an amazing, intricate revenge story!
What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?
What kind of a question is this? I'm going to say Pemberly but if you want a real location, I'd say Derbyshire or Hertfordshire! These places are the settings for Pride and Prejudice, one of my favorite books ever! 

Genre: Classics

Why I love Classic Literature
I love classic literature because of how universally accurate many of them can be. Take Pride and Prejudice for example: even though the times have changed drastically, many of Pride and Prejudice's themes are still relevant to today's society. The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, in my opinion, does a great job of showing how those themes are still accurate!

Favorites:
Oh, gosh. I have so many but I'll list only 5 (in no particilar order): Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (anything by her really), Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas, North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell and anything by Edgar Allen Poe. 
If you could give a list of classics to someone who claims to hate them to make them change their mind, what would be on it?
See above.
How would you convince them to give classics a try? And why do you keep coming back to those old favorites?
Honestly, I'd ask them why they don't like it in the first place. I even had this discussion with a friend at lunch and I convinced her to give another classic book a try! I always tell friends to keep an open mind because they might be surprised how alike people from the 21s century are to people from the 19th century! As for why I keep coming back? For one, I love the stories. The plots, while some are more intricate than others, are great. I've also fallen in love with the characters like Darcy and Mr. Thornton. I also find myself connecting with Lizzie (Pride and Prejudice), Jane (Jane Eyre) and Margaret (North and South) and I usually tell someone these things to make them read classics. Of course, I usually recommend my absolute favorites first! 
And that is it! Leave me a link to your post and I'll be sure to visit!
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS