Tuesday, May 14, 2013

I am a Name Judger

Okay, I have a confession to make:

You know how there are people who say they judge a book by its cover? Well, I can’t deny that I don’t judge a book by it’s cover because lets be real, everyone judges a book by its cover. BUT, I have this weird “quirk” (as I call it) about myself: I judge a character based on their name. Yes, it sounds juvenile but it’s the truth.

If that makes no sense to you, perhaps some examples will help!

Let’s take the Jessica Darling series! I love Marcus Flutie. Really, I do. But I very much dislike the name Marcus. I actually wrote about the name thing in my review (which should be up later this month). The thing is, I just don’t like the sound of “Marcus.” There is just something immensely weird about that name for me. I called Marcus everything from Mark to Mac to Mr. Flutie or basically, anything but Marcus itself. Did I love Marcus the character, yes, I really did! But I couldn't get over his first name. And this isn't even about his dreads!

While I didn’t review The Girl of Fire and Thorns, since I didn’t finish it, I very,
very much dislike the name Hector. Way back when, in elementary and middle school, I went to school with this kid named Hector. I don’t know what it was about me but he seemed to hate me. He was one of the kids who bullied me and I’ve pretty much disliked the name because it reminds me of him. As in, he pushed me down numerous times, punched me (in the stomach) numerous times and even spit at me. So, my memories of him very less than wonderful and I have never gotten over my dislike over the guy or that name.

Astrid and Leslie are two girl names I’ve always been weird about. What it is about these names, I have no idea, but if I ever have a daughter, I won’t name her either. Astrid, by the way, makes me think of asteroids and well, asteroids are gorgeous when they enter the earth’s atmosphere but otherwise, they’re ugly rocks. Astrid itself means “fair, beautiful goddess” but really, I don’t care for it. Leslie on the other hand just sounds really, really weird to me.

But I want to make something clear: as much as the names bug me, I don't base the character on them. I basically call the character something different in my find. For example, I did love Marcus the character but just not his name. In The Girl of Fire and Thorns, the character didn't work for me.
Source
But again, this is simply who I am. Hopefully some of that made sense to you all. If it did, yay! If not, I'm sorry!

So tell me dear readers! Do you have weird quirks like this? Is there a name that you don't like and you can't really explain why? Obviously, not intentionally and you try to be as fair as possible, but sometimes, personal opinions do come in! After all, reading is a very personal experience! Let me know in the comments! 

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS