Friday, June 07, 2013

Review: Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyers
Release Date: February 5, 2013 
Publisher: Feiwel and Friends 
Source: Library
The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
Review: 

Currently listening to: Tiptoe by Imagine Dragons 

**Spoilers have been whited out. Highlight to read spoilers!**
After disliking Cinder as much as I did, I was skeptical about Scarlet but I was assured that it would get better so I took a chance. Boy am I glad I did. Scarlet was an utterly addicting read with a snarky, strong willed protagonist, a sexy boy boy companion, and a plot that I actually liked. There were some issues with Scarlet, some bigger than others, but overall, I enjoyed reading Scarlet and I found that I didn't want to put this book down!

As much as this was Scarlet's story, it was Cinder's as well. I was happy to see that both Cinder and Scarlet had chapters with their point of views so it was easier to see how the events at the end of Cinder effected the other parts of the word. The plot was fast paced and I was sitting at the edge of my seat almost the entire time. There was so much going on but it never felt confusing or overwhelming. I did have some issues with the background of some of the scientific aspects but I was able to overlook them. I will admit: there was an issue involving Wolf that I saw coming from the very beginning.It seemed to perfect: right after Scarlet went to the plot again about her grandmother, a guy comes out of no where and offers her help in finding him. I think in the beginning, Wolf did help Scarlet so she could be cornered by the wolves but obviously he was going to fall for her. That was the biggest issue I had with Scarlet's plot. I loved the introduced of Wolf and Thorne, both of whom I loved and I know (er, predict) Thorne will play a bigger role in the plot of the next two books.

Yet another aspect of this numerous POVs I loved was that we saw more of Kai. Throughout Cinder, Cinder worried that Kai would be disgusted by Cinder being a cyborg but the chapters with Kai's POV showed otherwise. I was able to actually love their relationship since they weren't really together in real life. I also felt like this showed the growth of Kai and Cinder as characters, which was great. Scarlet was utterly fantastic and I loved her to pieces. She was spontaneous and snarky and thought with her heart when it came to the people she loved. In the beginning, I think Scarlet was blinded by her love for her grandmother and her need to rescue her. Even though this doesn't sound like something bad, Scarlet was too trusting of people who could possible help her accomplish her quest. As the story proceeded, Scarlet learned to be a better judge of character.

Once again, the lack of world building was a negative. Scarlet is 452 pages long and I still didn't learn how the Lunars ended up on the Moon, how they can survive there and how they got their powers. It might sound ridiculous but the Lunars are a big part of this entire story arc (after all, these books are part of the "Lunar Chronicles") so I expected some information. I also wanted more background on the villain. I wanted to know how the villain came to be the person she is in Scarlet.

Overall, I enjoyed Scarlet. Even though Cinder didn't impress me, Scarlet has made me a part of the many people who love Marissa Meyer's writing, the world, and the characters. I absolutely loved the plot (even with its minor hitches) and the characters were even better than before. I honestly hope people give this series a try despite the fact that many believe it to be sci-fi. I don't read sci-fi so I know it was one thing that made me hesitant to read these books. Marissa Meyer's books are rather genre bending and I love that about them.
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
First thoughts: 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS