Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Discussion: Am I Too Critical?

I haven’t done a discussion post in so long I thought it was high time I did one! This topic is something that’s been bugging me a lot as of late: Am I too critical of the books I read?

10 of the 65 books I’ve read so far this year were given 5 stars on Goodreads and some of them were rounded up from 4.5 (only 4 of them actually). ONLY 10 OUT OF 65 compared to last years 15 out of 83 (that’s a lot for me). Now that might seem like it’s not big deal but remember, 2013 isn’t over yet. I’ve got about five more months to read more books so the numbers could change. But the truth is: I highly doubt I’ll have more than 20 5 star reads for 2013. Which again brings up my question: am I too critical?





Quite frankly, blogging has made me more aware of my reading tastes. Had it not been for blogging, I know that I’d be reading all and any kinds of books out there and loving them or simply hating them. For example, I don’t like YA urban fantasy as much as I like adult urban fantasy now. So I try not to read YA urban fantasy books unless it comes strongly recommended.

But I’ve found that with even my favorite genres, like contemporary or fantasy, I always seem to find something wrong with the book. For example, take When You Were Here. I’ve been a big fan of Daisy Whitney’s ever since I read Mockingbird and The Rivals but this book just didn’t work for me. I honestly thought I’d love it but it didn’t work out for me.

I’ve found that characters are the most important part of a novel for me but I don’t always like the character. It doesn’t have to do with a “likable” character but rather one that I can care for or give a damn about. Plot has also become a huge factor when deciding how I feel about the book. As of the past year, I’ve noticed that I can guess either the big reveal or the climax well ahead of time and I very much HATE that. I like a good surprise so when it’s ruined, it’s ruined and I’m not as big of a fan of the book as I’d hope to be.

That’s not to say that I don’t avoid genres I don’t care for so obviously I won’t end up hating the book. I haven’t read a horror book in goodness knows how long. I’m a big scardy cat so reading a horror novel is very much out of the question. I’m also not much of a fan of sci-fi books so I rarely read them (I do make exceptions for this area though!) I also don’t care for the current new adult books so I’ve been refusing to read many of them.

I just feel like I’m too nit picky when it comes to all of the books I’m reading. I want to give every book a fair chance but I it seems to me that I’ve got some predetermined mindset that makes me not like all of the books I’d have liked three years ago. Or would you say that I have a more defined sense of the types of books I like?

As you can see, I am CONFUSED! So help me out! Do you think I'm too critical or is this normal? 

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS