Wednesday, August 14, 2013

NA Review: Wait for You by J. Lynn

Wait for You by J. Lynn
Release Date: February 26, 2013 
Publisher: William Morrow Paperbacks (or HarperCollins?)  
Source: Bought  
For as long as Josephine Alibrandi can remember, it’s just been her, her mom, and her grandmother. Now it’s her final year at a wealthy Catholic high school. The nuns couldn’t be any stricter—but that doesn’t seem to stop all kinds of men from coming into her life.

Caught between the old-world values of her Italian grandmother, the nononsense wisdom of her mom, and the boys who continue to mystify her, Josephine is on the ride of her life. This will be the year she falls in love, the year she discovers the secrets of her family’s past—and the year she sets herself free.

Told with unmatched depth and humor, this novel—which swept the pool of Australian literary awards and became a major motion picture—is one to laugh through and cry with, to cherish and remember

Currently listening to: Lightening by The Wanted

Review: 
I don't think it's a surprise that I don't like new adult. Most of the NA books I’ve read have been a big disappointment and I decided I wouldn’t read another one for a very long time. But when I found out that Jennifer L. Armentrout (aka J. Lynn) wrote an NA book, I put my opinions aside and I read Wait for You. And I’m happy to report that I didn’t absolutely hate Wait for You. It wasn’t the best book I’ve read but it was great entertainment.


The plot line for Wait for You seems to be like every NA book out there: innocent, inexperienced girl, college, sexy bad boy, sexytimes, sex and a main character with a tortured past. BUT I liked how J. Lynn took these themes and changed them around. Not only did Avery have a past but Cam did as well. Better yet, the plot for Wait for You featured Avery’s and Cam’s slow friendship turned to romance. While they are both attracted to each other, there is not kissing or sex until about one hundred pages into the book. THAT my dear friend, in my opinion, is how it should be done. No insta love or “no, they got to know each other for two weeks, that is not insta love.” For me, I knew what was going to happen (I guessed Avery’s background well ahead of its reveal) but for Wait for You, it worked.

But I have to say this: this book features sex and masturbation in detail. For some, it will be too much but for others it will be okay. Personally, I wasn’t expecting it to be as explicit as it was (I recently read an adult romance and that had a more PG love scene, lol) so I just skimmed some of those scenes but they didn’t feel out of place.

As I said, the plot isn’t all that original but J. Lynn’s writing is what made the difference. J. Lynn obviously knows how teens talk today and she was able to put that experience into Wait for You. The dialogue in Wait for You, like in many of J. Lynn’s books, was my favorite part. It was fast, snappy, snarky and I could imagine my friends talking like the characters in the book.

I want to put something out there before I talk about the characters: I’ve never experienced the things Avery has. No assault in any form or rumors or slut shaming have been a part of my life so far (and I plan to keep it that way) so it was hard for me to connect to Avery. Sure I could imagine how I’d feel if I had Avery’s past but that was it. I liked Avery’s character: she wasn’t completely naive but her innocence was believable. As far as I know, Avery’s reaction to her past seemed real enough so I appreciated how J. Lynn wrote a believable character.

I personally loved Cam. I really thought that he would be that same old cocky, confident, bad boy with a heart but Cam turned out to be a complete sweetheart. His anger wasn’t something to worry about and I loved his relationship with Avery. I also liked the secondary characters but I didn’t think they were as developed as Cam and Avery. I especially didn’t like Avery’s parents but I wanted to know them more.

Overall, I liked Wait for You. One day I was bored and I needed something fun and light and Wait for You delivered. I’m not sure which couple is going to be featured in the next book in this series (why is it a series again?) but I know I’ll read it for sure! If you like new adult, I’d recommend this book but for those who need an entertaining book but not too much depth, I’d also recommend this book!
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
I've realized that I'm not a fan of kissy covers. At all. Plus, why do all of NA books seems to have kissy covers? No wonder people think NA is YA with sex. Come on publishers, change it up already! 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS