Monday, August 12, 2013

Review: The Princess Diaries #1 by Meg Cabot

The Princess Diaries (TPD #1) by Meg Cabot
Release Date: July 1, 2001 
Publisher: Turtleback Books 
Source: Own 
She's just a New York City girl living with her artist mom...

News Flash: Dad is prince of Genovia. (So that's why a limo meets her at the airport!)

Downer: Dad can't have any more kids. (So no heir to the throne.)

Shock of the Century: Like it or not, Mia Thermopolis is prime princess material.

Mia must take princess lessons from her dreaded grandmére, the dowager princess of Genovia, who thinks Mia has a thing or two to learn before she steps up to the throne.

Well, her father can lecture her until he's royal-blue in the face about her princessly duty--no way is she moving to Genovia and leaving Manhattan behind. But what's a girl to do when her name is Princess Amelia Mignonette Grimaldi Thermopolis Renaldo?

Currently listening to: Lightening by The Wanted

Review: 
I love The Princess Diaries movies with Anne Hathaway and Julie Andrews but for some odd reason, I never read the books. I love Meg Cabot and her work so one day, I was in the mood for a light, fun read and I decided to grab this book off my self and read it. Frankly, I was excited to see the differences between the book and the movie and yes, I do love the book, but I also love the movie just the same. The Princess Diaries was an extremely quick, fun, entertaining read and one I think many people should read.


Ah, Mia. Mia is a sophomore at the beginning of The Princess Diaries and lives in New York City with her mother and her father is alive. From the first few pages, Mia learns that she’s the only heir to the Genovian throne since her father can’t have any more kids. Mia does know Grandmere but doesn’t like her at all. Of course, Mia is awkward and funny and occasionally annoying but her voice rang true to a normal 15-16 year old. She thinks she’s always right and the world is ending and everyone is out to get her but for me, that’s what makes Mia such a fantastic character to read about. If you didn’t know, this book is written in diary format so it was fun to read day to day accounts of the many woes of Mia’s life.

I knew that the movie borrowed material from the entire series but I was a little surprised to see that The Princess Diaries actually acted like a foundation for the rest of the books. It introduced the majority of the main characters and a basic overview of what Mia’s diaries would be about (princess lessons and being a princess so rather vague themes). Anyone who reads this book knows that various events happen rather quickly and this is a book that can be read in one setting so I wouldn’t advise anyone to go into The Princess Diaries hoping for a plot to blow them away. It’s just not going to happen and it’s really not the point of these books.

Grandmere, played by the amazing Julie Andrews, was (is) a favorite character of mine but I didn’t like her very much in this book. It’s probably because we don’t see a lot of her so no background or development of any kind happened. Along those same lines, I have to admit that I loved Mia and Michael’s relationship so Chris Pine’s character needs to go away. Nothing major happens but a lot of hints are given about where those two are going! Lily was utterly fantastic and I love her. MovieLily is very true to character to BookLily.

Overall, I loved this book. It’s only getting 3 stars because it’s not mind blowing but it’s not bad either! The characters are wonderful and quirky and the plot is one any girl would want (I mean, come on, wouldn’t you love to be a PRINCESS). The Princess Diaries was a book I flew threw and I would recommend it to any tweens (and younger teens) who love a chick-lit type of book!
Rating:
3.5/5
Cover Comments: 
It's simple and pretty and boring but nice and I'm rather indifferent to this cover.  
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS