Monday, August 26, 2013

Review: The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace

The Truth About You and Me by Amanda Grace
Release Date: September 8, 2013 
Publisher: Flux 
Source: Publisher via NetGalley  
Smart girls aren't supposed to do stupid things. Madelyn Hawkins is super smart. At sixteen, she's so gifted that she can attend college through a special program at her high school. On her first day, she meets Bennet. He's cute, funny, and kind. He understands Madelyn and what she's endured - and missed out on - in order to excel academically and please her parents. Now, for the first time in her life, she's falling in love.

There's only one problem. Bennet is Madelyn's college professor, and he thinks she's eighteen - because she hasn't told him the truth.

The story of their forbidden romance is told in letters that Madelyn writes to Bennet - both a heart-searing ode to their ill-fated love and an apology.

Currently listening to: You Make Me Feel… by Cobra Starship

Review: 
This is a really hard book to review. I enjoyed reading this book but I also hated reading this book, both feelings equally strong. I’m going to be up front about it: The Truth About You and Me is about the relationship between a 16 year old girl and a 25 (later 26) year-old college professor. *Sigh* Now that I’ve got that out of the way, I also want to point out that The Truth About You and Me wasn’t a badly written book and the characterization wasn’t bad either. They were both done rather well. But. The subject matter brought up a lot of personal feelings and for the life of me; I couldn’t get behind this relationship and I couldn’t love this book as much as I possibly could have.

I’m going right into: I wanted to slap Madelyn, our protagonist, literally the entire time I read this book. There was simply nothing I could do but cringe every time she talked to Bennett about their relationship (this book is written in the form of a long letter Madelyn wrote to Bennett). Basically, Madelyn was a very stupid, very selfish girl. See, she’s 16 and all, but really smart. So instead of going to high school, Madelyn’s taking classes at the community college. Bennett just happens to be her professor and from the very beginning, she’s in love with him. No, not love, obsessed with him.

I don’t normally do this, but I highlighted some quotes on my Kindle for this galley: regarding Bennett’s Facebook page: It wasn’t private, and I was able to see all kinds of pictures. I shouldn’t tell you this, but I saved a few of them on my computer (Loc. 343). Like, what in the hell? I stopped reading when I got to this quote because all I could think was “STALKER” and “you’re 16. He’s 25! Nononononono.” Not only that but Madelyn also spent hours simply looking at Bennett’s pictures (she even made him her computer screen saver) and imagining herself with him. Just, NO.

I was shocked that Bennett didn’t learn that Madelyn was a high school student. I was under the assumption that if a high school student is taking college courses, the professors tend to know this info. And of course, Bennett is Madelyn’s professor so dating her is kind of like giving her special treatment. I had hoped nothing happened but: You gave me an A-, Bennett. I know I didn’t earn it. You gave me that A- (Loc. 888).

The writing was in all honesty not bad at all. The pacing was great and I loved how all of the details of Madelyn and Bennett’s relationship were revealed. From the very beginning, it’s obviously that the letter writer is a more mature Madelyn when compared to 16-year-old Madelyn and I’m glad that now she realizes how stupid she really was.

Overall, I liked this book but in the end, I wasn’t able to love it completely. Sometimes you come across a book that has a subject matter you can’t get behind. I will admit that had it been a protagonist 18 years and older, I wouldn’t have had such an issue as I did with this one. Obviously, dating a teacher while the student is in the class is wrong because there is a big chance that s/he will get favoritism. I think many will like this book more than I did but I can’t in all honestly give it more than 3 stars.
Rating:
3/5
Cover Comments: 
Eh. Boring. Like, really, really boring. Had it not been for "Melina Marchetta," I wouldn't have picked up this book to read! 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS