Tuesday, September 03, 2013

NA: Less Angst and Drama?

I'm not a fan of NA. I'm not even going to say why but I'll link to three posts written by Nicole at WORD for Teens as to why I feel this why: Post 1, Post 2, and Post 3. But that's not what I'm here to talk about.

Today, I want to talk about a few popular NA books that feature characters that are more mature than ones in YA books, don't slut shame or stereotype, less angst and drama and so much more. If you can't tell, I'm so utterly confused that I can't even begin to describe it. **I'd like to point out right now that I've either finished these books or started by DNF them.**

hide gif
1. Hiding because I'm scared! Well, not scared. More like worried. 
I'm going to admit it: I think books about college students should exist. But the current market of NA books isn't getting me excited for college. It's terrifying me. There, I said it. The current NA books are freaking me out. An obsessive guy? Only bad boys? And God knows what else. I just don't get it.

And the notion that NA books have less angst and drama? I call bull. I just finished Charade last night and it is FULL of angst and drama, so of which is unnecessary. So much miscommunication leading to issues. I didn't love this book. And lets take The Vincent Boys for a change: there is a love triangle (BUT NA DOESN'T HAVE THEM KAILIA), there is cheating (THAT IS OKAY, THEY ARE COLLEGE STUDENTS), and Beau is a manipulative ass yet he is so SWOONY. Like, no.
rage gif
2. Just all the RAGE at the inconsistency. 
I will admit: I liked Wait for You. There was angst but believable angst. There was a sweet romance which was also believable. Basically, I could get behind this relationship because both the MC and her love interest helped each other in the best way possible. It wasn't the best thing I've read but it wasn't the worst by a long shot. 

The biggest one: IS NA is YA with sex? While I don't completely agree, I don't completely disagree

either. I once read a post where it said something along the lines of the fact that NA does have sex because college students have sex. To which I say: yes BUT SO DO HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS. Hell, kids as young as 13 are having sex (do the research, you'll see). YA needs to have sex but the difference I've seen deals with the descriptions. Many YA books that have sex don't go into a lot of detail while many of the NA I've read have gone into detail.

Personally (and I'm not a prude), I've found that one a few (namely 2) authors whose NA books I've read wrote the sex scenes with details that didn't make me uneasy. Quite frankly, too much detail can be gross and over the top.
shrug gif
3.  My feelings toward NA. 
But I don't dislike or hate people who like NA. If you like NA, good for you. Go right ahead. I won't judge you either (this post turned out to be more like a rant then a discussion...oops). But I don't care for what it is at the moment. Do I think books set in college should exist? Yes, I do. Should it be like the NA books out right now? No, in my opinion. For me, NA seems like a fad more than an actual category. 

What about you all? Do you love NA? Do you agree with what I have to say? 

Image credits 1/2/3
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS