Wednesday, January 08, 2014

NA Review: Foreplay by Sophie Jordan

Release Date: November 5, 2013
Publisher: William Marrow 
Source: Borrowed 
Summary (via GoodReads): 
Before she goes after the life she’s always wanted, she’s about to find the one she needs.

Pepper has been hopelessly in love with her best friend’s brother, Hunter, for like ever. He’s the key to everything she’s always craved: security, stability, family. But she needs Hunter to notice her as more than just a friend. Even though she’s kissed exactly one guy, she has just the plan to go from novice to rock star in the bedroom—take a few pointers from someone who knows what he’s doing.

Her college roommates have the perfect teacher in mind. But bartender Reece is nothing like the player Pepper expects. Yes, he’s beyond gorgeous, but he’s also dangerous, deep—with a troubled past. Soon what started as lessons in attraction are turning both their worlds around, and showing just what can happen when you go past foreplay and get to what’s real…
Review: 
Currently Listening To: Heart Attack by Demi Lovato 
If there’s anything I will give New Adult, it’s the fact that I can always read the book for a good time, quick and easy, light and fun. When I heard that Sophie Jordan was writing a new adult, I was neither surprised nor disappointed. After all, I’m not the biggest fan of NA. But I was a fan of Sophie Jordan’s so I had some expectations wit this book. Foreplay, sadly, wasn’t the new, fresh NA I was hoping for. Instead, while it was an enjoyable read, it was fairly predicable, with nothing new to add.

The Plot 

Nothing new. As I kept reading Foreplay, I wasn’t surprised by anything. Nothing seemed new and fresh and original. For a “genre” that is just getting it’s start, is this not a little sad? Sure, I liked the idea that Pepper and Reece weren’t originally falling in love and the sexual tension was there to keep me engaged, but again, nothing new. I also wanted a little more with this book. The plot was too fast: Pepper and Reece fell in love too fast, the pace was too fast, there wasn’t enough background to really understand either Pepper and Reece.

The ending was also way to perfect and cookie cutter. Reece and Pepper were madly in love and all of their baggage and issues were resolved. For example, certain issues in Reece’s life were introduced in this book that weren’t looked into. It was just a touch on the surface and by the end of the book it was gone completely.

The Characters 

Pepper: I liked Pepper to be honest, more than I thought I would. She was broken and had a tough past but she didn’t let it define her. She was also a very smart girl who made some stupid mistakes. But unlike most of the mistakes girls in NA books make, Pepper’s were more concurrent to her character. The mistakes weren’t life changing but rather mistakes a girl makes when she likes a guy. I smiled and laughed at Pepper but I also loved her. while her characterization could have been stronger, and I think she didn’t develop as much as she should have by the end of the book, Pepper was fun to read about.

Reece: Okay, I liked Reece. He’s my type of guy: tall, dark, handsome and a little bit older. But my biggest issue with Reece was that we never really get to know him. What are his interests? What does he like to do? What are his hobbies? I mean, I didn’t want his entire characterization but Reece was basically just the hot, sexy bartender throughout this entire novel.

The supporting characters: Georgia and Emerson were my favorites. Not only because I could identify each girl with my friends in real life, they were always there for Pepper. None of the supporting characters were developed enough but they had enough personality to tell them apart.

The Writing 

I’m not sure there’s anything new or exciting about this writing. It’s really light and quick to read. The diction is really conversational and there aren’t any big words to be confused by. Honestly, it’s one of the better written books and I’ve found that it comes with the territory.

The Verdict 

Foreplay was simply a quick, fun read. I was in the mood for something light that would make me smile but I knew I wouldn’t get any life changing advice from. While the plot was so much like many of the NA books I’ve read, I liked Pepper a lot. I think it’s really because I can see myself as Pepper. There wasn’t enough character development or background and I think the book ended too nicely but what can you do?
Cover Comments: 
This cover is boring and generic and like so many of the other new adult books out there. Really, change it up please! 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS