Monday, January 06, 2014

Review: The 100 by Kass Morgan

**I've adapted a new review system but this review was written before I developed it! THIS review will be in the same, old format!**
Release Date: September 3, 2013 
Publisher: Little, Brown 
Source: For Review from Publisher via NetGalley  
Summary (via GoodReads): 
In the future, humans live in city-like spaceships orbiting far above Earth's toxic atmosphere. No one knows when, or even if, the long-abandoned planet will be habitable again. But faced with dwindling resources and a growing populace, government leaders know they must reclaim their homeland... before it's too late.

Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents are being sent on a high-stakes mission to recolonize Earth. After a brutal crash landing, the teens arrive on a savagely beautiful planet they've only seen from space. Confronting the dangers of this rugged new world, they struggle to form a tentative community. But they're haunted by their past and uncertain about the future. To survive, they must learn to trust - and even love - again.
Review: 
The 100 sounded amazing when I first heard about it. I’m not the biggest fan of dystopian/post-apocalyptic books but when I was given the chance to read this book, I took it. While it was a clear struggle to get through this book, I finished it with a confused mind. For one, I didn’t like this book very much. There were so many things wrong with this book (later) but it makes so much more sense for this to be a television show. While the writing wasn’t bad, the four different narrations weren’t as different and the characters didn’t have enough gumption for me to care about them.

There are four main characters in this book: Clarke, Wells, Bellamy, and Glass. Three of the four end up on Earth and one is able to stay in space. All four have different backgrounds and different stories and throughout the book, we’re given small glimpses into how they ended up where they are. I really didn’t care for any of the four main characters. For one, all of the chapters alternate between each character so its hard to get enough information to really get to know the characters. Secondly, they didn’t really do anything. I though Bellamy would do something that would pick up the pace and cast the plot into a faster story. Secondly, there was just nothing about the characters that would get me to care for them. Glass, for example, had a story line I should have been saddened by. Instead, it just happened and I moved on.

I think the biggest issue I had about this book was that it didn’t seem like a book. See The 100 is a TV show and while I haven’t watched it, I can clearly see the events of this book translate into a show. I feel like this book was written for the sole purpose of truing it into a TV show. There are just those books that don’t have much character development, the plot isn’t engaging enough and the writing is mediocre at best.

Overall, I didn’t care for this book. It was a quick, fun read but nothing more. I’m sure the TV show is better (I haven’t watched it yet) but this book was highly disappointing. There are a lot of things, like character, world, and society development, I hope will be addressed in the show.
Cover Comments: 
Eh. Boring. Like, really, really boring. Had it not been for "Melina Marchetta," I wouldn't have picked up this book to read! 
 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS