Friday, January 10, 2014

Review: Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt

Going Vintage by Lindsey Leavitt 
Release Date: March 26, 2013 
Publisher: Bloomsbury 
Source: Library
Summary (via GoodReads): 
When Mallory’s boyfriend, Jeremy, cheats on her with an online girlfriend, Mallory decides the best way to de-Jeremy her life is to de-modernize things too. Inspired by a list of goals her grandmother made in1962, Mallory swears off technology and returns to a simpler time (when boyfriends couldn’t cheat with computer avatars).

The List:
1. Run for pep club secretary
2. Host a fancy dinner party/soiree
3. Sew a dress for Homecoming
4. Find a steady
5. Do something dangerous

But simple proves to be crazy-complicated, and the details of the past begin to change Mallory’s present. Add in a too-busy grandmother, a sassy sister, and the cute pep-club president–who just happens to be her ex’s cousin–and soon Mallory begins to wonder if going vintage is going too far.
Review: 
Currently Listening To: Royals by Lorde
I've been a fan of Lindsey Leavitt since I read her Princess for Hire series for middle grade readers. I instantly fell in love with the cover for Going Vintage and the synopsis. Going Vintage sounded like such a fun, cute book and I got exactly what I wanted. But I have to admit that I was disappointed. Going Vintage had a lot of heart but it wasn't as...deep, as I would have liked. To be honest, I didn't expect it from this book but there was always that little sense of hope. Going Vintage isn't a bad book but it's a fun book to read when you're in the mood for something light and fun.

If we talk about characters, I'd say I liked Mallory. I mean, I liked reading about her life and her struggles, especially after she finds out about her boyfriends girlfriend but there wasn't much development to her. It's not to say that I didn't like her but I just felt she acted a little younger than a junior in high school. It's not to say that she can't act a little childish or foolish because lets be real, we all act that way sometimes, no matter our age. I have to say though, Mallory kind of got boring to read about. Personally, I liked when other side characters were in a scene with Mallory: from her eccentric younger sister Ginnie to her grandmother to Oliver.

As for the plot, it was rather slow and well, boring, until Oliver comes into the picture. I liked reading about Mallory family dynamics and her love for antiques but after a while, it all seems overly repetitive. Sometimes, I just wanted more. Other times, I really wanted to just put the book down and read something else. And if there is anything I'll give Lindsey Leavitt, it's her ability to present family issues in connection to everyday life. Did I think there were too many plots going on at once? For sure. I also don't think all of the plot threads got a good amount of attention but that's okay.

Overall, Going Vintage was a quick, entertaining read. I didn't get a deep, throughout provoking read but sometimes, you're just in the mood for something to simply pass the time and to entertain. If anything, I thought that the idea of going vintage wasn't completely terrible. I think if people can learn to live without technology for a little bit, it would be a better world.
Cover Comments: 
I actually like this cover. It's a little silly but it fits the book perfectly and sometimes, the silly, cute books are the best. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS