Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry

The Summer I Found You by Jolene Perry 
Release Date: March 1, 2014
Publisher: Albert Whitman Teen
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Summary (via GoodReads): 
Jolene Perry's THE SUMMER I FOUND YOU, about a teenage girl trying to cope with her new diagnosis of type one diabetes and a teenage male veteran who is learning how to embrace his new life after losing an arm, who come together by using each other as an escape, only to discover through love and struggle that your life is what you make of it.
Review: 
Before I begin this book review, this title is so misplaced. The majority of this novel takes place during the school year so it’s not really “the summer” right? Anyways. The moment I saw this book on NetGalley, I requested it. Not only did The Summer I Found You sound amazing, the cover wasn’t too bad either. The second I was approved; I downloaded it and began reading it. By the end, I had mixed feelings. On one side, I liked this book a lot but on the other, I was so annoyed with the characters. I’m still unsure of exactly how I feel about this book.

The Plot

Honestly, this book sounded great. Such two different people connecting and finding love? It almost sounded too good to be true. While there was so much potentiona for this book to be amazing, the plot fizzled because of the execution. Besides the fact that it was set during a school year and not the summer, the plot’s pacing was slow in the beginning and a last fifty or so pages were fast paced. It didn’t work too well for the book.

The Characters

Kate: I have lots of family members who have diabetes. It’s noting to be ashamed of and I really could not connect to Kate and her horrid ways of taking care of herself. One of the biggest issues I had with Kate was her inability to take care of herself. I don’t know what it’s like to be diagnosed with this disease but after being told repeatedly that I could die if I didn’t take care of myself? The message would be clear to me. Even more so, after her relationship with Aiden took another level, Kate still did not tell him about her diabetes. She’s not a bad character but this aspect bothered me a lot. Along the same lines, I don’t think Kate developed as a character throughout this entire novel. I mean, it wasn’t until the last twenty pages that she realized she could die. It was frustrating and annoying.

Aiden: I don’t really know him so I can’t dislike him. But I don’t love him either. Of the two characters, I liked Aiden more. I was surprised that he didn’t let the loss of his arm affect his way of looking at life and the possibilities of love.

The Verdict

Overall, I liked this book enough. Sometimes the characters really frustrated me but other times, I really liked them. The plot for this book actually sounded great but I didn't think it was written as well as I had hoped it would.
Cover Comments: 
Eh. Boring. Like, really, really boring. Had it not been for "Melina Marchetta," I wouldn't have picked up this book to read! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS