Thursday, January 16, 2014

Review: These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

These Broken Stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner
Release Date: December 10, 2013 
Publisher: Disney Hyperion  
Source: Requested via NetGalley 
Summary (via GoodReads): 
It's a night like any other on board the Icarus. Then, catastrophe strikes: the massive luxury spaceliner is yanked out of hyperspace and plummets into the nearest planet. Lilac LaRoux and Tarver Merendsen survive. And they seem to be alone.

Lilac is the daughter of the richest man in the universe. Tarver comes from nothing, a young war hero who learned long ago that girls like Lilac are more trouble than they’re worth. But with only each other to rely on, Lilac and Tarver must work together, making a tortuous journey across the eerie, deserted terrain to seek help.

Then, against all odds, Lilac and Tarver find a strange blessing in the tragedy that has thrown them into each other’s arms. Without the hope of a future together in their own world, they begin to wonder—would they be better off staying here forever?

Everything changes when they uncover the truth behind the chilling whispers that haunt their every step. Lilac and Tarver may find a way off this planet. But they won’t be the same people who landed on it.

A timeless love story, THESE BROKEN STARS sets into motion a sweeping science fiction series of companion novels. The Starbound Trilogy: Three worlds. Three love stories. One enemy.
Review: 
To say I was excited for this book was an understatement. I could not wait to get my hands on this book! Not only did I love the cover but These Broken Stars sounded like a great sci-fi YA novel. After I was approved on NetGalley, I began reading it immediately but I was sad to find that I didn't love this book as much as I had hoped. It's not to say that These Broken Stars wasn't a good book and it clearly has a lot of fans but while I didn't love this book with all my heart, I wasn't the biggest fan. 

Being the nerd I am, I knew the story of Icarus from Greek myth and my intuition that it would play a large part in the plot for this novel was correct but it didn't play as large of a role as I had hoped. I guess in a way, it couldn't. Yet the plot of this novel was a huge let down. While I was expecting there to be plenty of that "sweeping science fiction," the sci-fi didn't come into play until about the end of the novel. Really, this story is about how Lilac and Tarver would survive the crash and if they're make it back home and for much of the novel, I felt like the plot dragged on and on. It took me a good 13 days to finish this book and unless you're about five hundred pages or so, it shouldn't take me that long to finish a book. But it's not to say this is a bad plot. Really, These Broken Stars has a great, almost original plot (okay, look, Titanic, BUT there is more to it!) but it just didn't always work for me. 

Tarver and Lilac were also two very interesting characters. While I liked both of them, I didn't truly care for them or their romance. I sound like a heartless soul and I promise I'm not but I was just never truly engaged in their story. The plot was boring and didn't make me want to read and that made me not care too much for the characters. Sure, they're both broken and hurt and come from two different worlds but so what? I will say, I liked them. I liked reading about them and seeing how their love progressed but I wasn't completely engrossed in it. I mean, again, it took me 13 DAYS to read this book. For lots of people, Tarver and Lilac have become favorites but for me, they were disappointing.  

And I know the romance is being compared to the Titanic and I can see it. I really, truly can see it but...I didn't care for it. Basically, my thoughts for this book were generic. I could see the originality and all but it didn't do anything for me. Plenty of people loved the romance and the swoon and for me, it wasn't anything new. I honestly can't say why because I'm the die hard romantic ya know? Oh, well. 

If there's anything about this book I loved, it was the writing. There was such a...melancholy tone to the writing and it was just beautiful and lyrical at the same time. As long as it took me to read this book, the writing was magnificent! There really aren't enough words to describe it but this is one hefty book (almost 400 pages!) so the writing needed to be good enough to keep my attention even when I read it. 

Overall, I didn't hate These Broken Stars and I do plan on reading the rest of the books in The Starbound Trilogy but I wasn't the biggest fan either. If I could describe my feelings towards this book, it would be: meh. The plot, the characters and everything about this book has clearly worked for others (many, many, many others) but for me, I was just left wanting more. And more. And I never quiet received it all. 
Recommendation:

Cover Comments: 
If you read the summary and see the cover, you think it's ridiculous and basically just a pretty cover on a book. But it is not only gorgeous but depicts the book really, really well. Like the green dress and the guy's outfit are basically straight out of the book! 


**I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for my review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS