Tuesday, May 27, 2014

I'm Back...(For Now)

Who can say it better than Captain Jack Sparrow?
Source
Well, hello there!

It's been a while since I've been on this blog. I took my hiatus on March 16 so it's been 77 days that I have been away. And for now, that was enough because I am itching to be back. There are several reasons I decided to come back (which will be listed below), I'm going to be making some changes on this blog as well.

Why I came back

1. I missed reviewing books

I thought about starting a YouTube channel but I couldn't see myself putting in that much effort with my sophomore year of college coming up in August. Plus, I'd been blogging here since 2009 and that is a long time. I just felt like putting more effort into a venue where I had already been relatively consistent. Who knows? Maybe I'll start a YouTube channel but for now, I'm just going to review books on here. 

2. I've had this blog for a long time and I didn't want to leave it

One of the biggest things I've learn so far in my college career is to start something and to stick with it. After realizing the first reason (see above!), I came to a conclusion that since I have been blogging here for almost six years, I'll keep going. Clearly there will be changes but since adding English as my second major, I've realized that this will help me in the long run. This blog has published work written by me and I plan on developing my writing skills and my voice.

BUT (you knew this was coming!)

I have started a personal blog called Adventures in Lifeland. I don't know how this is going to do and how often I will post on there but I have plenty of ideas that I can not wait to write about. Sorry for the self plug but I couldn't help it! Check it out? :D (I also added it up on the menu bar too!) 

3. It helped me read more books

I'm not saying that I didn't read enough books before book blogging because I did. But after entering high school and now college, I've realized that this blog is a great incentive to read more often! And I've become better at marking books as Did Not Finish (DNF), something I have struggled with for so long! And I'm currently 14 books behind my goal of reading 85 books this year (it dropped from 100 books once I realized how much more of my time was going to be taken up by college) so I need to get reading!

Changes to take place

1. No more book summaries 

I have realized that this takes up so much space on my reviews that it bogs me down. It probably makes no sense what so ever and I'm sorry I can't describe it adequately but it's the best I can do for now. 

2. Review lengths will vary based on books

I'm going to try and really tell you what I thought about a book, inside and out. In the past I focused mainly on the plot and characters and occasionally the writing and style but I want to get more a rounded feel for the novel.  

3. Cover comments and rating will stay

I have an interesting rating system which you can read about here and I have always loved talking about covers too. I'll be very honest with my cover comments because lets be real, it's the first thing you see so if it's not a good looking cover, people can skip it. I know I've missed out on good books because of it! 

And that's about it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS