Tuesday, June 10, 2014

DNF Mini-Reviews: Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always and Art Girls Are Easy

Sometimes Never, Sometimes Always by Elissa Janine Hoole Release Date: November 8, 2013 
Publisher: Flux
Source: Publisher via NetGalley for review  
Cassandra fears rocking the family boat. Instead, she sinks it. Assigned by her English teacher to write a poem that reveals her true self, Cassandra Randall is stuck. Her family's religion is so overbearing, she can NEVER write about who she truly is. So Cass does what any self-respecting high school girl would do: she secretly begins writing a tarot-inspired advice blog. When Drew Godfrey, an awkward outcast with unwashed hair, writes to her, the situation spirals into what the school calls "a cyberbullying crisis" and what the church calls "sorcery." Cass wants to be the kind of person who sticks up for the persecuted, who protects the victims the way she tries to protect her brother from the homophobes in her church. But what if she's just another bully? What will it take for her to step up and tell the truth?
Review: 
Stopped at: less than 40%, exact place unknown 

To start off, I stopped reading this book before Cassandra, the main character, even began her blog. I just couldn’t get into this book at all. There was too much into dumping and the story was incredibly slow.

I understand the idea behind this book: Cassandra feels so oppressed by her religious family that she isn’t able to discover who she really is. She wants to see what else the world has to offer outside of her town and her family’s expectations. They’re suffocating her and I understand her discomfort but her helplessness was too…helpless. It was for me at least. Honestly, if you want to change something about your life, get up and change it. Wallowing over how much you hate girls you pretend to be friends with or your family’s ideals is not going to change anything. I really just wanted to go in and shake her.

Furthermore, the story as far as I read was just…boring. I didn’t care about her family’s opinions on gays and same sex marriage; I live in a southern, mostly Christian, conservative state for crying out loud and while I felt like this novel tried to present these issues as something astonishing, it was really just…stereotypical. In the end, I was simply not interested in this book so I just put it aside. It might work for others.
Rating: 
Cover Comments: 
Personally I love this cover. There's something so...simplistic and wistful about this cover. The model's pose and the look on her face tie in well with the title of the book. Plus, they didn't white wash the cover by having an Asian model! 

**I received this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for my review.**
---------------------------------------------------------------
Art Girls Are Easy by Julie Klausner
Release Date: May 7, 2013
Publisher: Poppy
Source:Publisher via NetGalley for review

Fifteen-year-old Indigo Hamlisch is an art prodigy looking forward to her last summer at the Silver Springs Academy for Fine and Performing Arts for Girls. But her BFF Lucy Serrano is a C.I.T. this year, and that means she doesn't have to hang out with Indigo and the other campers anymore: she can mingle with the counselors -- including Indigo's scandalous and unrequited crush, paint-splattered art instructor Nick Estep. But it's not like anything is going to happen between Lucy and Nick... right? As Indy becomes more and more paranoid about what's going on between her best friend and her favorite counselor, Indy's life -- and her work -- spin hilariously out of control. Funny and bold, Art Girls Are Easy is a comedy of errors filtered through the wry, satirical eyes of a girl who's been there, done that, and is just looking for a little inspiration
Review: 
Stopped at: 7% 

I will read any and all books that deal with summer camps because I have never been to summer camp in my life. I never knew about it when I was younger and by the time I learned what they were, we couldn’t afford it. So when I first got the chance to read this book, I was incredibly excited. The cover was gorgeous and the summary was great and lets not forget the art bit. What I got, on the other hand, was a pretentious, annoying fifteen-year-old rich girl who was more interested in older men because she’d read Lolita (what?!).

When I think of summer camps, I think of cabins with bunk beds and lakes and swimming and bon fires. The camp Indigo does to? They stayed in air-conditioned chalets. And can I mention the name-dropping with all of the brands these kids have? Dolce and Gabbana and Chanel and I don’t really care. In the end, 7% of this book is all I could handle even though I told myself that I would read more of this book before giving up on it. If I’m to be honest, I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone. There are better books I would rather spend my time reading then this one.   
Rating: 
Cover Comments: 
Eh. Boring. Like, really, really boring. Had it not been for "Melina Marchetta," I wouldn't have picked up this book to read! 


**I received this book free from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for my review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS