Thursday, June 12, 2014

Mini-Reviews: Someday, Someday, Maybe and Also Known As

Someday, Someday, Maybe by Lauren Graham 
Release Date: April 30, 2013 
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Source: Library  
A charming and laugh-out-loud novel by Lauren Graham, beloved star of Parenthood and Gilmore Girls, about an aspiring actress trying to make it in mid-nineties New York City.

Franny Banks is a struggling actress in New York City, with just six months left of the three year deadline she gave herself to succeed. But so far, all she has to show for her efforts is a single line in an ad for ugly Christmas sweaters and a degrading waitressing job. She lives in Brooklyn with two roommates-Jane, her best friend from college, and Dan, a sci-fi writer, who is very definitely not boyfriend material-and is struggling with her feelings for a suspiciously charming guy in her acting class, all while trying to find a hair-product cocktail that actually works.

Meanwhile, she dreams of doing "important" work, but only ever seems to get auditions for dishwashing liquid and peanut butter commercials. It's hard to tell if she'll run out of time or money first, but either way, failure would mean facing the fact that she has absolutely no skills to make it in the real world. Her father wants her to come home and teach, her agent won't call her back, and her classmate Penelope, who seems supportive, might just turn out to be her toughest competition yet.

Someday, Someday, Maybe is a funny and charming debut about finding yourself, finding love, and, most difficult of all, finding an acting job.
Review: 
The second I heard that Lauren Graham had written a book, I was eager to get my hands on it. I was excited to get the book from the library and within a few days, I finished it. I wasn’t as pleased by this book as many other people were but I liked it well enough. In the end, I realized that I didn’t care too much for the characters or the romance. In the end, it was more of a “meh” kind of a read for me.

The writing hands down was my favorite aspect of this novel. Lauren Graham’s writing had a vintage feel to it. The writing felt like it was very old but classic at the same time; it didn’t have a boring effect but rather something that had a calming effect. For some reason, I didn’t understand why Fanny’s character didn’t work for me. There was something…boring about her. I just didn’t care if she got the job or had a romance and that made me sad.

In the end, I read Someday, Someday, Maybe in short periods during a few days. I wasn’t invested enough to read all the way though in one sitting but I was intrigued enough to keep coming back for more. This book was fun and light but I didn’t really get anything out of it.
Rating: 
Cover Comments: 
It's the Brooklyn Bridge you guys! Normally I would wistfully comment on how I love the setting (hello, New York City!) but the cool thing? I've been there and it's fabulous! So, yes, I love this cover. 

**I borrowed this book from the library. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for my review.**
---------------------------------------------------------------
Also Known As, #1 by Robin Benway
Release Date: February 26, 2013
Publisher: Walker Books
Source: Library
Which is more dangerous: being an international spy... or surviving high school?

Maggie Silver has never minded her unusual life. Cracking safes for the world's premier spy organization and traveling the world with her insanely cool parents definitely beat high school and the accompanying cliques, bad lunches, and frustratingly simple locker combinations. (If it's three digits, why bother locking it at all?)

But when Maggie and her parents are sent to New York City for her first solo assignment, her world is transformed. Suddenly, she's attending a private school with hundreds of "mean girl" wannabes, trying to avoid the temptation to hack the school's elementary security system, and working to befriend the aggravatingly cute son of a potential national security threat... all while trying not to blow her cover.

From the hilarious and poignant author of Audrey, Wait! comes a fast-paced caper that proves that even the world's greatest spies don't have a mission plan for love.
Review: 
Sarcasm in my third language and I absolutely love characters who are sarcastic. I love a good book about spies but in the end, Also Known As wasn’t was…exciting as I had hoped it would be. Once I finished reading it, all I wanted was more: more character development, more excitement, and more danger. Also Known As was the perfect book to read during a boring day and that was exactly when I read it

Maggie is seventeen (I think…) in the beginning of the novel and she has never been a “normal” teenager. She doesn’t know how high school students act or how she should act around them and seeing Maggie out of her element was wonderful. I enjoyed her awkwardness and her struggle to complete her job well and the situations she landed herself in made me smile. Unlike many YA novels, I loved that Maggie’s parents were so involved in her life. Her friendship with Roux and her relationship with Jesse were both fun to read about. My biggest issue with this novel was the fact that Maggie sounded much younger then seventeen. Maybe I should not have been bothered by it as much but I can’t deny that I was.

The highlight of this novel would be the characters. I loved Maggie’s personality because it was snarky and smart and even made me wince on occasion. Angelo, the family friend and acted as a mentor to Maggie who understood that even though she was a spy, she was also a seventeen-year-old girl. Roux, the social outcast at school becomes Maggie’s friend and added a fresh and fun feel to this novel.
Rating: 
Cover Comments: 
I don't honestly care about this cover. I like that her outfit coincides with a private school uniform but other then that, it's generic and boring. 

**I borrowed this book from the library. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for my review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS