Sunday, June 15, 2014

Review: The Thief (The Queen Thief #1) by Megan Whalen Turner

The Thief, book 1 by Megan Whalen Turner 
Release Date: December 27, 2005 
Publisher: Greenwillow Books
Source: Library  
The king's scholar, the magus, believes he knows the site of an ancient treasure. To attain it for his king, he needs a skillful thief, and he selects Gen from the king's prison. The magus is interested only in the thief's abilities.

What Gen is interested in is anyone's guess. Their journey toward the treasure is both dangerous and difficult, lightened only imperceptibly by the tales they tell of the old gods and goddesses.
Review: 
When I first began reading this book a few months ago, I put it aside after 15% in. At that time, I didn’t want to read it. Some time ago, I borrowed The False Prince from the library and when I looked at some of my most trusted friends for their thoughts, everyone said I should read The Thief instead. So I borrowed it from the library and as I continued to read it, I finished the book before I even knew it; I read it in about a day. The Thief takes time to truly capture the readers’ attention. It has an immensely slow beginning but as the book continues, it gets better and better.

The plot is really hard to put into words without revealing each and every aspect of the details that make up this book. The plot isn’t as fast paced or as adventure filled as other fantasy novels I’ve read. Megan Whalen Turner slowly reveals key aspects of the characters and the world but never does so in a way that feels as though it is shoved in your face. The plot is slow but brilliantly paced as where you receive just the right amount of information to assure that you are not confused but enough mystery to keep you guessing. Furthermore, the world has an essence of Greek mythology but isn’t quite so mixed in and is set in a world that is very reminiscent of ancient Greece.

In many of my favorite fantasy novels, I have found that while the writing isn’t hard to read, it has a sense of beauty to it. It’s very poetic and flows like a calm river in a serene landscape. If that makes no sense, I’m sorry. In other words, the writing in this book was beautiful. It gave me a sense of calm as I was reading it but it was a wonderful feeling. I absolutely love Turner’s writing and her ability to string words together is mesmerizing and mysterious. I was able to understand enough about the world without having all of the details bore me to death. Though this book was written in third person and not much was revealed about the characters, I ended up falling in love with all of these characters.

Overall, I loved this book so much that I requested the next three books from my library the very next day. I fell in love with the characters and the writing and the world. Megan Whalen Turner’s The Thief is a wonderful book that deserved the Newberry Medal it received. The world is intriguing and familiar but not in a way that fells unoriginal. After all, Green myth has been used in many novels. In the end, I can’t recommend this book enough.  
Rating: 
Cover Comments: 
I love this cover in all honestly. It's simple and beautiful at the same time and the symbolism is fabulous. I absolutely love how all of the covers in this series go together. 

**I borrowed this book from the library. All opinions are my own and I was not compensated for my review.**

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS