Saturday, July 12, 2014

Living in a Book: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I recently found The Autobiography of Jane Eyre, a web-series, modern adaptation of Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and I have binge watched this entire web series in one day. It’s been inspired by The Lizzie Bennett Diaries but has no connection to it.

While it’s a good web series, I’m not it’s biggest fan. Some aspects of it just don’t work for me BUT it did get me thinking about what it would be like to live in a book. What would happen if I found myself living in one of my favorite books? Regardless of the time period, what would it be like if I lived among my favorite characters and world? Well, this is where this post is coming in!

I don’t know if I’m going to make this a feature or a mini-series but I’ll just go with it. Some posts will be based on a specific book but others will be a combination of one genre or sub genre. We'll see what happens!

And for today's post, I'll be talking about Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte because it only makes sense. After all, this book did inspire this feature!
The Time Frame
While the year in which Jane Eyre starts is never actually stated, some research showed that it was set between 1720is through 1820 OR in the early decades of the 19th Century.
The Location
Hello, England! Yes, if I was living in this book then it wouldn't be much of a surprise but the thought of me living in this country? Heck to the yes! There's just so much I love about England and one of my favorite aspects about this novel is that it's set in the country side and not a bustling city. Yes, I am a city girl at heart but I would be happy with living anywhere in England.
The Lifestyle
I won't even deny it, I would HATE living here. I'm way to accustomed to running, clean water and showers and toilets and air conditioning and wonderful hygiene so living in a world without it? I don't even know. Transportation consisted of horses and carriages so it wouldn't be the end of the world. The uneven roads would be a killer but I'd assume I was used to it if I lived in this time period. I would also need to put aside my vegetarianism because there would be a lot of meat eating during this time. Depending, of course, that I'm in the same economic status of Jane because a lot of the poorer people couldn't afford meat. Since the whole idea is to live in the world of the character (and maybe even in place of the character), I should be good.

Also, the dresses! Oh goodness the poofy dresses. I can't decide if I would like it or not. Present Me would hate it because hello shorts! But Book Me? I'd have to get used to.

Furthermore, I would have to convert my religion so that would be interesting. Normally religion wouldn't come up but during this time period and to Jane, it's very important. It's not a bad thing but it would be interesting.
The People
Hello, Edward Rochester. How are you doing today?

Now that I've got that out of my system, I think I would LOVE meeting Jane Eyre in person. She's so head strong and loyal and just so many things! I love how firm she is in her beliefs and her ability to speak her mind is rare for that time period. I think for this reason I wouldn't want to be Jane but to meet her. The discussions we would have would be so deep and meaningful; at least that's what I'm assuming.
The Story: Would I Want this Life?  
Nope. Jane's life is very hard and I don't think I'll be strong enough to handle it. I have anxiety so I don't know if the bullying (even though I've dealt with it) and the constant change would be okay for me.
Would I Like It? 
Er. No. I KNOW. I'm shocked too. I love Jane Eyre so much but living back then? I don't think I could do it!
Adaptations
While this won't be present for all of the posts, I've come across some great adaptations of this book.
2011 Film:
 I haven't seen this movie yet but I wanted to include a film at least.

BBC 2006 Mini-Series 
Can BBC do any wrong? I LOVE this adaptation and I have seen it numerous times. I wasn't able to find a trailer for this mini-series but this would be the first adaptation I would recommend anyone. 

Had to put it in here because hello? It was my inspiration! 

Jane by April Lindner and A Breath of Eyre by Eve Marie Mont 
I haven't read Jane yet but it was one of the books that came first to my mind. 
I've read A Breath of Eyre and it's rather good. You can ready my review to see how I felt about this book. 

AND THAT'S IT! 
Yes this post ended up being longer then I anticipated but it's all because of the introduction. So the next post won't have it! I might add some more questions but I don't want to over due anything. I want this to be fun, not boring. What do you guys think? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS