Thursday, August 21, 2014

Adult Review: The Best Man, Blue Heron #1 by Kristan Higgins

             The Best Man, Blue Heron #1 by Kristan Higgins
Release Date: June 1, 2013
Publisher: Center Point, Harlequin 
Source: Library  
**This is the large print version!**
Sometimes the best man is the one you least expect….

Faith Holland left her hometown after being jilted at the altar. Now a little older and wiser, she's ready to return to the Blue Heron Winery, her family's vineyard, to confront the ghosts of her past, and maybe enjoy a glass of red. After all, there's some great scenery there….

Like Levi Cooper, the local police chief - and best friend of her former fiancé. There's a lot about Levi that Faith never noticed, and it's not just those deep green eyes. The only catch is she's having a hard time forgetting that he helped ruin her wedding all those years ago. If she can find a minute amidst all her family drama to stop and smell the rosé, she just might find a reason to stay at Blue Heron, and finish that walk down the aisle.
Review: 
The Best Man, Blue Heron #1 Before even considering reading this book, I read the 3rd and 4th books in this series and fell madly in love with Kristin Higgins. When Keertana told me that this was her favorite of the bunch, I knew I had to read the rest of the series. In all honesty, I wasn’t sure what to expect from The Best Man but it wasn’t to read it in less then two hours. I basically flew through this book and I have to say, I absolutely loved Faith Holland and Levi Cooper. This book was a lot of fun, a little heartbreaking, and overall

While this book might seem as if it’s just a light, fun romance novel, there is much more to it then just that. For one, I did not expect to care for Faith Holland as much as I did. It’s one thing to be left at the altar but it’s another to not realize something that was apparent to everyone. Faith, though, left Manningsport broken and sad and came back a little stronger. While it’s evident to see the transformation Faith has gone through, I loved that she was still vulnerable. Seeing Levi Cooper brought back all sorts of feeling, some good while other bad, but seeing Faith struggle to accept and understand what happened made her seem so…real. She wasn’t perfect and her flaws allowed me to care about her.

There is just something about Levi Cooper. He’s the bad boy with a heart of gold but a little bit awkward also. You can’t help but fall in love with Levi and I sure as heck loved reading about him. Growing up poor and living in a trailer, Levi has always been accustomed to working hard for what he wants and needs. His attraction to Faith and his unwillingness to give in to his feeling resulted in many awkward and intense situations where the sexual chemistry was almost palpable. His obvious love for his younger sister made my heart leap; there’s just something so sexy about a man being emotional.

From the sounds of this review, I make The Best Man out to be a quick, light hearted read and while, yes, it is light and a quick read, there is a surprising amount of heart in this novel. Faith often has to deal with her seizures and her mom’s death, the later having a heavy effect on her life. The reader is able to see Faith’s inner turmoil regarding the situations and events of her life and it’s hard not to feel for her. On various occasions, I wanted to give her a big hug. Yet the most defining moment of this novel came near the ending where Levi immensely helped Faith move on from her guilt. That single event cemented my love for these two characters.

Overall, I loved The Best Man. I can’t decide yet if it’s my favorite of the bunch but I can see why so many people love this book. Kristin Higgins ability to take a boring, cliché idea and turn it into something more special and more original surprised me on many levels. In the end, I have decided that I can’t get enough of Kristin Higgins and the people of Manningsport, NY (as a side note, now I wanted to visit the Finger Lakes).  
Recommendation
Best Friends Forever
This book is pretty great but it’s missing something that would make it extremely special. I might re-read this book, possibly more than once. I would recommend this book to lots of my friends and some of my colleagues.

Guys, I loved this book far more then anticipated and I think everyone should start this series off with this book. There's just something so wonderful about this book (like of like wine; see what I did there?) that just makes you want more and more and more.
**This is a 4 our of 5 stars on Goodreads.**
Cover Comments: 
Oh, hi there, extremely cheesy looking cover. WHY do so many adult romance books have such terrible covers? Luckily the words were far better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS