Monday, August 25, 2014

Adult Review: The Perfect Match (Blue Heron #2) by Kristan Higgins

             The Perfect Match, Blue Heron #2 by Kristan Higgins
Release Date: December 1, 2013 
Publisher: Center Point, Harlequin 
Source: Library  
**This is the large print version!**
What if the perfect match is a perfect surprise? Honor Holland has just been unceremoniously rejected by her lifelong crush. And now -- a mere three weeks later -- Mr. Perfect is engaged to her best friend. But resilient, reliable Honor is going to pick herself up, dust herself off and get back out there . . . or she would if dating in Manningsport, New York, population 715, wasn't easier said than done.
Review: 
The very first point I want to make with this review is that I am utterly happy that I did not read the Blue Heron books in the order they were published. These books can be read as standalones but being in a series, characters overlap. While I enjoyed The Best Man, the first book in this series, I did not enjoy The Perfect Match as much and had I read them in order, I don’t know if I would have continued on with this series. There was something missing from Honor Holland and Tom Barlow’s love story.

Admittedly the marriage for convenience plot is one I haven’t read that many books about but I was curious to see how this one would go. I knew certain events that would happen but their execution fell flat. For example, we all know that the main love interests will have some sort of disagreement but they won’t be able to stop thinking about the other person. Slowly, they begin to realize their love for one another. Distance makes the heart grow fonder and all that. In this case, I just didn’t care when Honor and Tom were apart. There wasn’t enough of a spark between these two characters.

I did, however, appreciate Tom and his loyalty to Charlie, his unofficial stepson. When so many people (did) would put aside a teenage boy, Tom stepped in. I loved seeing their relationship grow and develop into a father son love. It was also nice to see Charlie open up and allow others in. I should also mention that Tom is British and as I cannot help but love the accent, I couldn’t help but love Tom. There is more to Tom then just his accent; he’s broken and has shielded his heart from love. He was not expecting Honor and this idea made reading this book far more enjoyable. There are certain times when I wish he had acted differently but those are minor problem.

I didn’t think I would love Honor as much as I did but I had this connection with her that I didn’t expect. I’m not the most serious of my family but I am rather the black sheep who doesn’t let anyone faze me. Honor, the no-nonsense member of her family also seemed to have this trait and it changes when she tells the guy she likes how she feels. It’s Honor’s response after being rejected by this guy that showed me how similar we are: even if we’re hurting inside, our outside appearance is a neat and clean as any other day. Seeing Honor open up to Tom and allow herself the ability to love again was wonderful.

Overall, I enjoyed this book. Certain aspects were annoying (Brogan and Dana; who lied about something rather big which made me dislike her even more then I did before), others were heart wrenching (I feel for ya Charlie!), but in the end, I didn’t feel as thought there was enough spark between Tom and Honor. This might be because they are both such serious characters and maybe if my timing had been different, I would have loved this book.  
Recommendation: 
I liked this book. I would have loved this book but it's missing a few things. I would re-read this book if I wanted something good to read. I would recommend it to some people but with reservations.

This isn't the best in the Blue Heron series by far but it is still a fantastic story and one I think everyone who loves Kristin Higgins books should read. I know many, many people who loved this book and all reading experiences are different for all people! 
**This book is a 3.5 but rounded up to a 4 on Goodreads.**
Cover Comments: 
The dog is the best (and cutest!) part of the cover. I don't hate the cover; it's just incredibly cheesy and doesn't stand out in the immense sea of adult romance novels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS