Monday, August 18, 2014

Adult Review: Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare

             Romancing the Duke, Castles Ever After book 1 by Tessa Dare 
Release Date: January 24, 2014
Publisher: Avon 
Source: Library  
In the first in Tessa Dare's captivating Castles Ever After series, a mysterious fortress is the setting for an unlikely love . . .

As the daughter of a famed author, Isolde Ophelia Goodnight grew up on tales of brave knights and fair maidens. She never doubted romance would be in her future, too. The storybooks offered endless possibilities.

And as she grew older, Izzy crossed them off. One by one by one. 
Ugly duckling turned swan?
Abducted by handsome highwayman?
Rescued from drudgery by charming prince? 
No, no, and… Heh.

Now Izzy’s given up yearning for romance. She’ll settle for a roof over her head. What fairy tales are left over for an impoverished twenty-six year-old woman who’s never even been kissed?

This one.
Review: 
This book is the reason I have read the majority of the adult books I've read for the past few weeks. There was just something so addicting about this book that I simply did not want to stop reading it (literally...I read it in about two hours total)! Romancing the Duke by Tessa Dare used all of the cliches there are in the romance genre but the way she told the story was done with acute mastery. Basically, I loved all of the clich├ęs because they worked in a way I wasn't expecting them to.

Izzy was such a perfect protagonist that I don't even know. There's just something about a young woman who is strong and fierce but also vulnerable. She has to show all sides of herself no matter what. In Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J.K. Rowling writes:“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.” THIS is why I loved Izzy as much as I did. No matter what her situation in life was, Izzy was always, always kind to people. People who didn't as much money as her or people who were far richer, she was kind and compassionate. But Izzy's kindness wasn't a weakness, it was her strength. It allowed her to empathize with all people and allowed her character to shine. 

Guys, my favorite Disney Princess is Belle and Beauty and the Beast is my favorite Disney. EVER. And one of the biggest reasons for this is because I love the Beast and Belle's love story because the Beast isn't the best looking or the nicest guy around but Belle's able to get past his roughness. And this is why, I think, I loved the romance in Romancing the Duke. Random, Duke of Rothbury, is scarred and disabled and not the nicest guy around but our girl Izzy is able to get past that by simply being herself. I love that Izzy got to know Ransom better NOT because she pities him but because she's a nice person who is also lonely. Both Ransom and Izzy saw something in each other that went past their attraction for each other; it was their mutual understanding of the other. This allowed both characters to treat the other as an equal and this was utterly refreshing. 

Overall, I really loved this book. It was one step from being perfect because even though I loved what I got, I wanted more...seriousness. There were plenty of times where the story line could have had more depth but it only scratched the surface. But that didn't stop me from loving this book, however, and I found myself thinking about the characters well after I finished the last page. Romancing the Duke was the perfect read for a time when I needed something to make me happy and to get back into reading. It was fun, light and heartwarming.

Recommendation
Best Friends Forever 
 This book is pretty great but it’s missing something that would make it extremely special. You might re-read this book, possibly more than once. You would recommend this book to lots of your friends and some of your colleagues.

Really, this was a perfect "I-need-a-fun-light-read-that-I-will-enjoy-and-can't-stop-reaidng" type of book.
Cover Comments: 
If you're looking for a light, fun, yet heartwarming romance that will put a smile on your face, IGNORE THE COVER. IGNORE IT AND PICK THIS BOOK UP ANYWAYS. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS