Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Review: I Want It That Way (2B Trilogy #1) by Ann Aguirre

Release Date: August 26, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin 
Source: Publisher via Netgalley 
Nadia Conrad has big dreams, and she's determined to make them come true—for her parents' sake as well as her own. But between maintaining her college scholarship and working at the local day care to support herself, she barely has time to think, let alone date. Then she moves into a new apartment and meets the taciturn yet irresistible guy in 1B….

Daniel Tyler has grown up too fast. Becoming a single dad at twenty turned his life upside down—and brought him heartache he can't risk again. Now, as he raises his four-year-old son while balancing a full-time construction management job and night classes, a social life is out of the question. The last thing he wants is for four noisy students to move into the apartment upstairs. But one night, Nadia's and Ty's paths cross, and soon they can't stay away from each other.

The timing is all wrong—but love happens when it happens. And you can't know what you truly need until you stand to lose it.
Review: 
I am, it seems, the only person who didn't truly love this book but I have accepted that I will often be the black sheep of the book blogging community. Immediately after finishing this book, I gave the book a 4 out of 5 stars on Goodreads. It was so good, I thought. But of course, as I allowed my thoughts to marinate (is that a strange word to use?), I came to the conclusion that I did not in fact love this book as much as I thought. I had issues with the plot and the various plot points, the characterization, and various other aspects of this novel. In the end, I Want it That Way by Ann Aguirre was nothing new in the new adult arena and offered nothing fresh or special.

I Want it That Way is the story of Nadia, who I believe is twenty-one and a college student, and Ty, her neighbor and single dad who is also her love interest. Immediately, from the second they meet, Ty and Nadia have a pull to each other. He is standoffish when they meet for the first time but as time goes by, they begin to know each other and their attraction intensifies. From the very beginning, I could not help but roll my eyes at their romance. It just seemed so insta-love to me and I initially did not understand Ty’s behavior. It’s one thing if your neighbors are being loud and obnoxious but if they’re simply moving in and struggling at that? There was no reason for him to be so upset. And this, of course, begins Nadia and Ty’s love story. Their attraction is immediate and when Nadia is not anywhere near Ty, she is thinking of being with him and kissing him. It was, in the end, too much for me. I wished that Nadia spent half of that much time thinking of her best friend and her roommates and possibly her college education.

I did, no matter how negative this review might seem, like Nadia and Ty. I couldn’t actually resist Ty because he was such a sweetheart and a great guy who was dealt an interesting hand: Ty’s son is the highlight of his life but the situation surrounding the mother of his son has a negative turn to it. I could understand Ty’s hesitance in the beginning because for any woman to have a relationship with him meant becoming a mother-like (and possibly a stepmother) figure to his son. And Nadia was a strong willed character and while I didn’t always appreciate her actions (in the spoilers section), I understood her pain and wanted what was best for her.

One of my biggest issues I had with this novel was the random introduction to little plot points, none of which see a closure to the best of their ability: *SPOILERS BELOW* Firstly, there was the issue Nadia was having with her best friend Lauren. They’ve been friends for a very long time and by the time the book begins, Lauren doesn’t act like herself. Once Ty comes into Nadia’s life, Nadia seems to on occasion think of Lauren. Nadia and Laruen have been friends since elementary school (if I remember correctly) and it seemed odd to me that Nadia wouldn’t further pursue the issue. Lauren ends up going back home and Nadia learns THEN that Lauren was unhappy. It bothered me that Ty would become such a big aspect of Nadia’s life for her to forget about her best friend.

Furthermore, the story line concerning Ty’s ex-girlfreind and the mother of his son was incomplete and it felt as though Ty was not completely over her. The story line seemed to being when Nadia first learns about the mother but does not truly get resolved. I’m not saying she needed to be present but Ty, in my opinion, did not have the closing he and Nadia deserved. I felt as though Ty still have lingering feelings for her. *SPOILERS END*

I haven’t even gotten to my biggest complaint: what exactly is the point of having such explicit sex scenes? I honestly do not understand the point of it and it’s one of my biggest issues with NA books. It seems that the majority (of the ones I’ve read) have such explicit sex scenes that I begin to feel uncomfortable and I am not easily uncomfortable.

Overall, I wasn’t as impressed with I Want it That Way as I wanted to be. The book sounded fabulous and I so wanted to enjoy this new adult book but alas it was not meant to be. I did like Nadia and Ty and Sam, Ty’s son, was my favorite character. I rooted for both of these characters love even if it was almost insta-love. I know plenty of people have enjoyed this book and I would recommend this book to people who like the recent releases of new adult novels.  
Recommendation:
Cover Comments: 
Typical new adult cover. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS