Thursday, August 28, 2014

Review: Waiting On You (Blue Heron #3) by Kristan Higgins

           Waiting On You (Blue Heron #3) by Kristan Higgins 
Release Date: March 25, 2014
Publisher: Harlequin
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
Does being nobody's fool mean that you're nobody's love?

Colleen O'Rourke is in love with love... just not when it comes to herself. Most nights, she can be found behind the bar at the Manningsport, New York, tavern she owns with her twin brother, doling out romantic advice to the lovelorn, mixing martinis and staying more or less happily single. See, ten years ago, Lucas Campbell, her first love, broke her heart... an experience Colleen doesn't want to have again, thanks. Since then, she's been happy with a fling here and there, some elite-level flirting and playing matchmaker to her friends.

But a family emergency has brought Lucas back to town, handsome as ever and still the only man who's ever been able to crack her defenses. Seems like maybe they've got some unfinished business waiting for them—but to find out, Colleen has to let her guard down, or risk losing a second chance with the only man she's ever loved.
Review: 
There are certain things people love to read about. Maybe it’s about summer love or a love blooming during a road trip but for me? It’s childhood romance. There’s just something so…innocent about young love that makes my heart flutter. Maybe it’s because when you’re love, you aren’t always emotionally hurt and you’re not in the big, scary world allowing the romance to blossom.

Colleen O’Rourke and Lucas Campbell were high school sweethearts but one day, Lucas broke Colleen’s heart. While she’s always tried to move on, there was something about that love that hindered Colleen’s ability to find true love for her. If you don’t already know, Colleen has a great track of getting people together but not for herself. She’s confident and sarcastic and loving and loud but underneath all of that is a girl aching for love, even if she won’t openly admit it. I loved Colleen because that’s how I am (sans the high school romance and broken heart) because I often hide my true feelings behind something else.

Lucas was such a sweetheart and I couldn’t help but fall for him. He’s had a rough past but was able to make the best out of it. Lucas had to grow up too fast so it was vastly more mature when he was younger than expected. I did, however, still feel as though some of his actions later on in the book were uncalled for. I can understand, also, that he still cares for Colleen but I felt his attitude that Colleen would be waiting for him a little bit…annoying. He didn’t always feel that way but when he did, I felt as though his ego go the better of him.

Some flashbacks allow the reader to see how Colleen and Lucas meet and fall in love and I loved every minute of it. Even the heartbreak was (heart wrenching) but important to read about because it helped give Colleen and Lucas more background (clearly). But there was something about their adult love that seemed off for me. Maybe because they were both adults and a lot had happened to both of them to change them in unexpected ways, but I didn’t feel as though the spark from their childhood came back. Maybe it was because they didn’t get enough time to work out their issues (a specific issue that happened with Colleen and a member of Lucas’s family that was blown way out of proportion and I didn’t like the way Lucas reacted), but I didn’t feel the spark.

Overall, I enjoyed Waiting on You for the most part but the romance felt a little bit off. Maybe because the love between these two characters already existed and it needed rekindling but I just couldn’t love it. In all honesty, I think it had to do with the fact that neither Colleen nor Lucas talked about their issues with each other. There were too many loose ends but I did enjoy reading it nonetheless.  
Recommendation:
I liked this book. I would have loved this this book but it's missing a few things. I would re-read this book if I wanted something good to read. I would recommend it to some people but with reservations. 

I absolutely loved Lucas in this book and even though the romance was a little lackluster, I enjoyed 
Cover Comments: 
WHAT'S UP WITH THIS COVER?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS