Sunday, March 08, 2015

Love Letter: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger

Title: The DUFF by Kody Keplinger 
Release Date: September 7, 2010 
Publisher: Poppy (Little Brown)
Source: Library 
Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.

Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.
See my original review of The DUFF HERE
Dear The DUFF, 
    When we met for the first time in June of 2012, I had such high hopes for you. Luckily, you were right at par with my expectations. I remember loving the realistic portrayal of high school within your pages and how I could connect with various characters. It was a fateful day and I remember thinking that I couldn't wait to visit you again. 

Why did I want to see you again? Well, like I said above, the realistic portrayal of high school was an immense plus but I think the two biggest reasons I visited you again were the topics discussed within your pages (body image and sex positivity among others) and Bianca. I think a lot more books in the world should have accurate portrayals of body image and have more diversity in this area. Something I noticed after I re-read you was that there weren't simply one or two different types of body shapes but various types. And since you are set in high school, it would be foolish to assume that no high school student is having sex. We need to remove the taboo label sex has and begin to discuss is more openly so all students have the best way to make their own decision about sex. 

Now that I have re-read you as a college student, I was reaffirmed in the fact that everyone is the DUFF at some point in their live and this is not only for high school people but everyone. Even now I feel like the DUFF of my friend group even though it's not like I don't have friends or a boyfriend. I think that being the DUFF isn't something that ever goes away but something that gets easier with age.

Would I read you again? Yes, actually I would. I just watched the movie adaptation and I have an immense urge to re-read the book. I think that your such a well written and relatable book that I'll be turning to you for years to come. Maybe in the future being the DUFF will be easier.

With lots of love, 

BFF 
This book is pretty great but it’s missing something that would make it extremely special. I might re-read this book, possibly more than once. I would recommend this book to lots of my friends. 
There's something missing from this book to make it one of my absolute favorites but it is now one of the few books I've read more then three times. I know for a fact that I've recommended to plenty go my friends because it's just that good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS