Thursday, March 26, 2015

Review: For Real by Alison Cherry

           For Real by Alison Cherry 
Release Date: December 9, 2014 
Publisher: Delacorte Press
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
No parents. No limits. No clue what they're in for.

Shy, cautious Claire has always been in her confident older sister's shadow. While Miranda's life is jam-packed with exciting people and whirlwind adventures, Claire gets her thrills vicariously by watching people live large on reality TV.

When Miranda discovers her boyfriend, Samir, cheating on her just before her college graduation, it's Claire who comes up with the perfect plan. They'll outshine Miranda's fame-obsessed ex while having an amazing summer by competing on Around the World, a race around the globe for a million bucks. Revenge + sisterly bonding = awesome.

But the show has a twist, and Claire is stunned to find herself in the middle of a reality-show romance that may or may not be just for the cameras. This summer could end up being the highlight of her life... or an epic fail forever captured on film. In a world where drama is currency and manipulation is standard, how can you tell what's for real?
Before I start I want everyone to know that I don’t watch reality television on a regular basis. I’ll watch a few episodes here and there if I’m really bored but otherwise, I don’t really care for it. There’s just something about reality television that I can’t stand to watch over and over. BUT when I found out that Alison Cherry was writing a young adult novel along the lines of The Amazing Race, I knew I had to check it out. Sadly, For Real was far from fun and romantic and beautiful places.

Lets talk about Claire, our main character and Miranda her older sister. Claire, from the beginning, I knew was going to be someone I wasn’t going to like. While she felt like her older sister didn’t treat her like her age, Claire didn’t do anything about it. I understand that standing up to an older sibling (especially an older sister) can be hard, spending the entire book whinnying about the lack of respect, I wish Claire had said something. There were plenty of times in the book where I wanted to slap Claire to wake her up from her dreams. I think that Claire had a lot of potential because she could have killed it at the game but nope.

Also, the characters in this book weren’t developed at all. There was no development to speak of and this was so sad. What’s a better way to grow as a person than through traveling the world? I just wanted so much more in terms of characters. Samir, the antagonist I guess was just a guy. And I can’t even remember the name of the love interest her was no uninteresting so there's that. If there's anything, I liked the idea of this story. It sounds like so much fun and for the girl that loves traveling (because I've traveled so much), the idea for such a reality show sounds like heaven. Heck, even I'd apply to be on it!

Overall, I was so bored with For Real. The countries weren’t interesting at all, the characters weren’t developed, and overall, I just wasn’t as impressed. There was so much room for growth but alas, I didn’t get any. I’m sure some really liked this novel but for me, it didn’t click.

Foe 
I don’t think about this book. I don't want to recommend it to anyone. I might have even hated this book. I would not even think to recommend it to anyone. 

Sadly, this was another miss for me. I really wish I'd liked this book but frankly, this wasn't for me. Maybe it will be for others but for me, I kind of wished I hadn't read it. Maybe I should have DNF'd but even till the end, I was sorely disappointed. 
Okay, y'all, I like this cover a lot. It's cute and fun and goes with the book so well! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS