Wednesday, March 11, 2015

The DUFF Movie Review

Director: Ari Sandel 
Screenplay: Josh A. Cagan 
Release Date: February 20, 2015 
Cast: 
Mae Whitman as Bianca 
Robbie Amell as Wesley 
Bella Thorne as Madison 
See the full cast at IMDb
A high school senior instigates a social pecking order revolution after finding out that she has been labeled the DUFF (Designated Ugly Fat Friend) to her prettier more popular friends. From IMDb.
When I first heard that The DUFF was going to become a movie, I was super excited. I loved the book when I first read it and even the second time I read it before I went to see the movie so I had high expectations. However, when the movie began, I couldn't help but be a little skeptical. I knew from the trailer they'd changed the movie from the book so I began to get worried.

But then once I got into the movie, there was no going back. From all of the sexy (oh goodness Robbie Amell is so sexy!) to all the snark (I loved Bianca!) and all the laughs, I left the theater very well pleased with the movie. There are some things I knew were important to me: the whole idea of the DUFF, the romance between Wes and Bianca and the friendships amongst the women.

For one, I loved everything that happened with the DUFF. I know plenty of people were upset with Mae Whitman being cast as Bianca because she wasn't anywhere near "fat." One distinction I saw was that in society today, even in high school (or sometimes in middle school) that what people consider "fat" is the same as others. I know that in some cases Mae Whitman's body type would be considered fat. It's a sad world but something I think needs to be said to change the way people think of the term fat. I think the DUFF managed to do this and yes, I understand that Bianca for some should be a different body type.

And lets be real, the romance was so important for me because I am die-hard romantic and as much as I want the realistic aspects of the movie to be portrayed correctly, I need one heck of a good romance. There wasn't anything new about it to be sure. It's the same sexy-guy-falls-in-love-with-the-ugly-duckling-when-she-isn't-an-ugly-ducking-anymore. But I couldn't help but like the romance. Bianca and Wes had been friends when they'd been younger and I liked that they were friends throughout the movie too. There was something so sweet about that.

As for the last part of the movie that I really wanted to see, it had to do with how the friendships and relationships between the women in the movie were handled. Sadly, I was disappointed by this aspect. I wish the movie didn't focus as much on the romance as it did. I wanted more in terms with the relationship that Bianca and Casey and Jessica had. Also, I wanted more of a relationship between Bianca and her mother (which was different than what it was in the book) but I think there wasn't as much communication as there should have been between these two women.

Overall, though, I loved this movie. It was cute and quirky and hilarious and even though there were some things I wished had been done different, I really enjoyed The DUFF. It was as faithful as the movie could be to the book and I highly enjoyed it even with all of the changes! I would highly recommend everyone read it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS