Saturday, March 28, 2015

YA Book Review: Open Road Summer by Emery Lord

Open Road Summer by Emery Lord
Release Date: April 15, 2014
Publisher: Walker
Source: Library
After breaking up with her bad-news boyfriend, Reagan O’Neill is ready to leave her rebellious ways behind. . . and her best friend, country superstar Lilah Montgomery, is nursing a broken heart of her own. Fortunately, Lilah’s 24-city tour is about to kick off, offering a perfect opportunity for a girls-only summer of break-up ballads and healing hearts. But when Matt Finch joins the tour as its opening act, his boy-next-door charm proves difficult for Reagan to resist, despite her vow to live a drama-free existence. This summer, Reagan and Lilah will navigate the ups and downs of fame and friendship as they come to see that giving your heart to the right person is always a risk worth taking. A fresh new voice in contemporary romance, Emery Lord’s gorgeous writing hits all the right notes.

I read Open Road Summer, Emery Lord’s debut novel, after everyone in the blogosphere had already read and raved about it. But better late than never I think. Anyways, from the beginning of the novel, I was sucked in. There’s something about road trip books that makes me so happy. Maybe it’s because I haven’t gone on a road trip with anyone but my family so I’m always looking for new adventures. And the added bonus of music? Yes, please!

So lets just get down to it: while I liked the main character Reagan O’Neil I didn’t love her. I know plenty of people liked her as a character but the way she treated other women in the book besides Lilah Montgomery her best friend upset me. Am I saying that I’ve never judged or said something about another women in my life? No, I can’t say that because it would be a lie. But I like to catch myself whenever I go down that route and that’s how I wish this issue had been handled. Instead of simply letting something like this go, I wish Emery Lord had addressed it. This is when I wish subjects like this were handled: as a learning point, not just something to add to the character and leaving it be.

Anyways, I had to get that out of the way. Otherwise, I loved the relationship between Lilah and Reagan. Both girls have different things they’re passionate about and I loved how each supported the other no matter what. I wanted more from Lilah and I understand that this isn’t a book about her but y’all she’s adorable. I think that they both balanced each other in the best way possible. Something else that really stood out for me was the rifts that occurred in the relationship. I liked seeing that friendships aren’t always fun and games; there are tough times that test a friendship and the end result shows how strong the relationship truly is.

Also, can we talk about the cute as heck romance? I’m like Reagan when it comes to romance: I like to think that I’m all cool and suave but I’m that extremely awkward girt. Reagan was far tougher in regards to Matt Finch (now I understand why all the girls on Twitter were gushing about him; he is so freaking cute!) and I loved it. I like when relationships aren’t always established when the road trip ends. Reagan and Matt became friends and the trust was established and for me, this made the relationship far more palpable.

Overall, I really, really liked Open Road Summer. A few things made it hard for me to really love this book but in the end, I closed the book with the biggest smile on my face. I know that I'm going to be rereading this book as soon as possible. There's just something so honest and beautiful about this book (even though a few parts were a little upsetting).
BFF 
This book is pretty great but it’s missing something that would make it extremely special. I might re-read this book, possibly more than once. I would recommend this book to lots of my friends. 

Go out and read this book! It's super cute and so much fun! A perfect summer read (and any time of read to be honest) because oh my gosh, it's cute and fun and raw and sometimes iffy. But all in all, this is such a good book! 
This cover is so insanely pretty that I can't honesty fault it for the cliched look. It's just so PRETTY! I kind of want this cover in poster format so I can adorn my dorm room with it. Even though, yes, Open Road Summer is much more than a romance novel, I think this cover creates such a wonderful mood for the book. It seems so light and fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS