Sunday, May 10, 2015

Current Obsession: Daredevil


Hello, world! How are you guys doing? It's been so long since I've posted on this blog but I'm trying to make my way back! I'm going to post about why I've been gone in a few days but there was something far more pressing for me to talk about: my current obsession with a little show called Daredevil!

So I began the show as soon as it came on Netflix (which was April 10th of this year) but I soon found that school was become far too stressful for me to continue watching so I waited until the summer began to begin re-watching the show. I had gotten to around episode 4 when I had to let it go and I came back to it last night and guys, it was amazing! Even though I had seen the first three episodes, I fell back in love from the beginning! 

Here's the main cast (all images from IMDb)

Charlie Cox as Matt Murdock/Daredevil | Deborah Woll as Karen Page | Elden Henson as Foggy Nelson | Vincent D'Onofrio as Wilson Fisk

From IMDb:
A blind lawyer, with his other senses superhumanly enhanced, fights crime as a costumed superhero.
That of course doesn't give you what it's about but you get the basic idea. Plus, if you have read the comics than you already know what it's about! And because I do not wish to give it away, I will not talk about anything that might spoil it! So, why do I like this show so much when it is only 13 episodes long? Well, here are some reasons:

1) The acting is pretty great

I won't lie, I was skeptical at first but I find that Netflix does a great job with casting excellent people to portray their characters. Charlie is a great Matt and Daredevil and I've enjoyed seeing his character grow and develop. There's so much more about Matt/Daredevil that I want to know that I think will be revealed in the next season. In the first season, I think we jus scratched the surface but damn, there's so much good stuff coming up!

Vincent D'Onofrio is my favorite actor, however, because his portrayal of Wilson Fisk is by far the craziest, scariest, most amazing acting I have seen in such a long time! I think a lot of kudos should also go to the young actor who portrays him when he's younger. Henson's Foggy is fabulous and adds a great amount of comic relief to the story. I hope that in the next season, his character continues to grow. However, my girls Claire Temple and Karen Page haven't had that much development but I'm excited to see what's to come!

2) What is good or evil?

This is the question that has been going on in my head since I finished the season. As I mentioned above, D'Onofrio has done an amazing job portraying Fisk but hot damn the acting is so fascinating. Episode 8, I think, is what caused me to ask this question over and over again. You see so much of Fisk's background and you can't help but realize that when he was younger, the events that happened caused him to turn into the cruel human being he is today. But it's a constant battle inside his own mind if he is or isn't a monster. What happened in his past happened for one reason and even though Fisk thinks he has good intentions now as an adult, this is where the crazy comes in. For me, I knew that his traumatic past has caused a lot of pain and suffering to the adult but that never gives an excuse to hurt others. So obviously, this is a hard question to answer and even though it seems easy, you can't help but feel for Fisk as well.

3) The story is pretty amazing

Okay, I'm probably going to get my nerd card revoked for this next statement, but well, I never read comic books as a kid. Actually, I basically only read manga when I was younger but I haven't read a manga in so long. Basically, I don't do comics so I never know what is or isn't going to happen in any of these shows. Maybe for those of you who have read the comics (or any Marvel comic because I've come to realize that a lot of characters overlap) won't find the story as amazing as I do. Nonetheless, I love how fast paced the show in and how everything happens in such a constant pace. Normally it sounds like it would not be as much fun but for me, I love the way the story in unfolding. I love getting bits and pieces of Matt's and Fisk's pasts. It's so fascinating!

4) What determines your future? 

This question did not come up for me until episode eight came. As I've mentioned above, this episode shows a lot of what happens in Fisk's past life and I could not help but notice how similar his and Matt's past were. And this is what, in my opinion, showed to me that "what determines your future" is an important theme in this show. Both Matt and Fisk have had rough childhoods and even though they are not the same in any means, the basic themes are the same. But Matt's and Fisk's upbringings changed who the boys would be when they were adults.  Both had unconventional childhoods, tragedies that had powerful impacts on their lives, but still their younger lives were different.

For the sake of not giving too much away, Matt grew up believing in not using violence to get what he wants and to never give up when he did not get what he wanted. Fisk, on the other hand, had far more violence in his childhood that shaped his views on how to settle arguments and other lessons children learn when they are younger. Their paths, from what I can see, could have been far more different. Matt could have been evil and Fisk the superhero. But, again, could this have happened?

5) It's a good show 

This probably doesn't seem like a good reason as compared to the first four, but guys, this show is just such an amazing show. I think that Daredevil has proven to be an amazing show. I mean, in less than one month after its release, it was renewed for a 2nd season! The casting is pretty great and the acting is mind-blowing. There are so many other themes coming up in the show that I'm kind of dying for the wait. ALSO, and you guys are going to think this is weird for me to say, but there isn't much romance in the show and it has proved to be wonderful! There's some kissing and some tension (damn the sexual tension!) but for me, it isn't too much where the show can't develop. This entire first season focused on establishing the characters and the plot line and it did not focus so much on any romance where anything would take a backseat. Normally, I want, heck crave, the romance in a show but when it came to Daredevil, I was happy with the lack of romance. Sure I rooted for anything that happened, but honestly, I was happy without it.

And those are the five reasons I think you should watch this show. Of course, I understand that some of you might not have Netflix and I'm not sure there is anything I can do about that and I apologize with my heart! For those of you who haven't gotten a chance to check out this show and have Netflix, what are you waiting for?

Have any of you already watched the show? What do you think? Do you like it or hate it? Do you agree with what I've said above? Let me know in the comments below! And if you haven't already watched this show, get on it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS