Sunday, May 31, 2015

DNF Mini-Reviews: Kissing Ted Callahan and Wrong About The Guy

*I received a finished copy from the publisher via NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book nor my review.*

Release Date: April 7, 2015
Publisher: Poppy 
Source: Publisher via NetGalley
 Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist meets Easy A in this hilariously realistic story of sneaking out, making out, and playing in a band.

After catching their bandmates in a compromising position, sixteen-year-old Los Angelenos Riley and Reid become painfully aware of the romance missing from their own lives. And so a pact is formed: they'll both try to make something happen with their respective crushes and document the experiences in a shared notebook.


While Reid struggles with the moral dilemma of adopting a dog to win over someone's heart, Riley tries to make progress with Ted Callahan, who she's been obsessed with forever-His floppy hair! His undeniable intelligence! But suddenly cute guys are popping up everywhere. How did she never notice them before?! With their love lives going from 0 to 60 in the blink of an eye, Riley and Reid realize the results of their pact may be more than they bargained for.

I've only read one book by Amy Spalding (read my review Ink is Thicker Than Water) and I really enjoyed it. When it came to Kissing Ted Callahan, on the other hand, I have no idea what went wrong. I don't even know how far I got in the book before I gave up on it. I think the discretion made it sound too good to be true. Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist and Easy A together in one book? Could it get any better than that? Yes, actually it could. I guess what I really did not enjoy was the fact that both Riley and Reid sounded very childish. I understand that they are sixteen so they aren't that old but really, I think this book wasn't geared for me. I didn't get too far into the book to actually talk about the plot in more detail so I'll just leave this here. 

Foe 
Now, I'm not enemies with this book. I didn't hate it or love it. So don't take the foe rating as I hated it. I know this worked for some people but it just wasn't for me. I think it was a little bit too middle grade for me (but the characters weren't). 
I think this cover is too simple and generic and I don't really like it. It looks so childish. 

**********************************

*I received a unsolicited finished copy from the publisher. This does not affect my opinion of the book nor my review*
Release Date: April 21,  2015
Publisher: Harper Teen 
Source: Publisher 
Ellie Withers is definitely not spoiled… so she wishes that George Nussbaum would stop implying that she is. It’s not her fault that her stepfather became a TV star and now they live in a big house and people fawn over her wherever she goes. She doesn’t even like being fawned over. Fortunately, her two closest friends understand her a lot better than George: Heather Smith loved her before she even knew who Ellie’s stepfather was, and handsome Aaron Marquand has a father who’s just as famous.

With Aaron back in town and very much in her life, Ellie feels like things are just fine…or would be if her mother hadn’t hired George to tutor her. George has a habit of making Ellie feel a little less sure of herself, a little less on top of the world, a little less right about everything. Why does he always make her feel like she could be a better person than she is?

When Ellie’s plans for her family, her friends, and even her love life don’t turn out the way she imagined, she begins to wonder if maybe she could stand to learn a thing or two after all…and whether it’s possible—or even likely—that the perfect person to teach her is the last person she’d expected.
Where do I even begin with this book? I don't remember what page I stopped at but there were a few things that really bothered me. For one, the first line of the description says "Ellie Withers is definitely not spoiled..." but this has to be the biggest lie about this book. Since she's studying for the SATs, I'm assuming she's a junior (if I remember correctly, she was going to being junior year) but I'm not too sure. Anyways, Ellie is most definitely spoiled. Even if she wasn't born with a lot of money, once she does have the money, and when she's the only child, she makes sure that everything is about her. It was so frustrating reading this book and trying to care about her and want to keep reading on. 

Also, this is a re-telling of Emma by Jane Austen. Emma might not be my most favorite Austen book but I still enjoy reading it. Emma is far more endearing than Ellie could ever be. I can't say much about what kind of re-telling it was as I didn't finish the book to find out but I wasn't a big fan of the other characters. Overall, I didn't enjoy this book to continue so I had to leave it be. 
Foe 
Like I said with the review above, Foe is the lowest rating I could give it. I didn't hate this book and we're not really foes. I just DNF'd the book because I couldn't stand the main character. I know this probably works for some people but alas, for me it wasn't. 
Oh man this cover is bad. It's so generic and boring and what does this have anything to do with anything? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS