Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Finding the Passion Again


Hello, there lovely readers! If you haven't noticed, I've been gone for a while from the blog. I've talked about my depression and how it's changed how I blog and way back in 2014, I talked I mentioned how college had shaped my blogging style and my definition of failure. But I've taken the time off to do what the title of this blog post says: find the passion for blogging again. 

When I began this blog way back in 2009, I was bored and sad and in a very bad state of mind. I needed something creative to channel my energy and blogging was introduced to me. Over the years, school and college has changed this for me and my depression has only gotten worse since then. I've since realized that my passion for blogging had been lost. Admitting that I had indeed hit an incredibly large wall was hard but once I came to terms with that fact that I did not love blogging as much as I once hard, I took the steps to get better. 

But my depression got the best of me and there was a point in the last few months ago, I didn't even want to think about opening a book. For so long, reading had been the only constant in my life and all of a sudden, I didn't even know who I was. If you know anything about depression, or if you suffer from it, you know that this is something that happens. Honestly, it was a scary time and I needed some time to get through it. Below, I've outlined the first steps I took to get back to where I am now! So here they are: 

1) Step away from it all 

This was the hardest step for me because I didn't want to admit that I had really lost my passion for blogging. Saying that I no longer wanted to review books and tell the world what I thought was not something I could come to terms with. And I think I'm making it sound like a bigger deal than I really was but I was 14 when I began this blog and now I'm 20 years old. Six years of my life have been put into this blog and even if some people think that my blog hasn't done well, I'm extremely proud of. But stepping away, truly stepping away from all of it, was hard but something I had to do. I didn't read any books or even think about blogging. Instead, I focused on my friends and school and other hobbies I had. 

2) Reevaluate why you're doing this

While I had steeped away from it all, I had to reevaluate why I was blogging in the first place. Why was blogging so important to me? Did I want to continue? In the end, I had to think for a long time if book blogging was truly where my passion still resided. Did I love what Life According to a Bibliophile stand for? After a while, I realized that I wanted to change some things about this blog that I had only said I would change. I had not taken the measures to make the changes and I figured out that if I chose to come back, what would this blog look like when I did. 

3) Discover the catalyst

Once I decided that I wanted to go back, I had to decide what the catalyst was that got me into blogging to begin with. What was the event or thing that got me to open a Blogger account, create this blog, and keep with it for so long. This was easier said than done but when I did realize what my catalyst was (my love for reading and sharing this love with others), I was able to better understand how to change my blogging ways so that I did not lose my passion. Discovering my passion for reading and blogging helped me understand why books were so important to me and would be for the rest of my life. There was something so incredibly therapeutic about this stage that I've come to become even more of a supporter for diversity in books and literacy for all people.  

4) Observe, observe, observe 

After everything, I decided that the only way I was going to get back into blogging would be to understand how others blogged and kept on blogging. So, I began to read blogs I loved and I wondered why I kept coming back to these blogs day after day. What was about these blogs that got readers to come to them? Why did people want to comment on these blogs? I also had to understand what I was doing on my own blog that had changed the way people see my blog. For example, I reapplied I should post regularly. Not that I needed to have a set schedule but just post enough on this blog would show people that I cared more about this blog. This also gave me inspiration for my own blog. Observing was important before I dove back into this!

5) Come back when you're ready

Once I had gotten past all of these steps, the only step left was to come back to blogging! And here I am! It sounds weird that I'm using my process to come back to blogging as a step to post on this blog more but I felt like I should share this information. It's been a hard to find my passion for blogging again and even though I am ready to come back, I don't know if I'm fully ready. I want to blog again and slowly I'll make my way to where the passion is fully ignited but for right now, I'm going to do the best that I can. 

And there ya go! These are the steps that I have taken to help me get back into the groove. If you've been around the blog for a few years, you know that I have had my issues with keeping my passion alive. Books and blogging have been a part of my life for far too long to just let it go. But this was more than just that. This had a lot to do with not letting my depression get the best of me, even if it's so incredibly hard for me to just get out of bed sometimes. Since I began this book blog, the following quote has been in my description box:
“There is more treasure in books than in all the pirate's loot on Treasure Island.” - Walt Disney
I want to get back to believing in this quote again. After all, I've traveled all over the world through books. I've had the chance to see how wars change the world and help anyone who needs it. Books do indeed have more treasure than anything else can ever imagine. 

Have any of you been in this position? Have any of you lost your passion for a hobby that has been a part of your life for such a long time? How did you all make it out of that rut? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS