Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Review: The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows

           The Orphan Queen by Jodi Meadows 
Series: The Orphan Queen 1 
Release Date: March 10, 2014 
Publisher: Katherine Tegan Books 
Source: Publisher for review Hardcover
**I received this book from the publisher and this did not affect my review. All opinions are my own!**
Wilhelmina has a hundred identities.

She is a princess. When the Indigo Kingdom conquered her homeland, Wilhelmina and other orphaned children of nobility were taken to Skyvale, the Indigo Kingdom’s capital. Ten years later, they are the Ospreys, experts at stealth and theft. With them, Wilhelmina means to take back her throne.

She is a spy. Wil and her best friend, Melanie, infiltrate Skyvale Palace to study their foes. They assume the identities of nobles from a wraith-fallen kingdom, but enemies fill the palace, and Melanie’s behavior grows suspicious. With Osprey missions becoming increasingly dangerous and their leader more unstable, Wil can’t trust anyone.

She is a threat. Wraith is the toxic by-product of magic, and for a century using magic has been forbidden. Still the wraith pours across the continent, reshaping the land and animals into fresh horrors. Soon it will reach the Indigo Kingdom. Wilhelmina’s magic might be the key to stopping the wraith, but if the vigilante Black Knife discovers Wil’s magic, she will vanish like all the others.

Jodi Meadows introduces a vivid new fantasy full of intrigue, romance, dangerous magic, and one girl’s battle to reclaim her place in the world.
If you guys don't know, I love fantasy. I read all sorts of fantasy books--even middle grade--and I can't seem to ever get enough of them. When I came back from college, I found a package of books from HarperCollins and when I opened it, I found The Orphan Queen inside. I immediately opened the pages that night and within hours, I had finished this book. While I didn't absolutely love it to pieces, I really enjoyed this book. This is the first book by Jodi Meadows that I'm reading and it won't be the last! 

Something that might surprise people who have followed my blog for a while know that characters can either make or break a book for me. But in the case of The Orphan Queen, the world is what kept me going. I didn't absolutely love Wil or any of the other secondary characters, the world was absolutely fantastic. I loved the descriptions of the mountains and the rivers and the wraith wraithlands were absolutely terrifying. I think I liked the world the most because the world itself was a character. It played such a large role in the plot of the story that I couldn't help but love every aspect of it. I think this says a lot to Meadows ability as a writer to bring her world to life. 

But of course, I can't not talk about the various cast of characters that are present in this book. From Wil herself, to the Ospreys, Tobiah and Black Knife, all of these characters bring something important to the table. Wil, the strong willed princess hoping to reclaim her kingdom is the orphan queen but I have to say, I didn't think she did as much as I would have hoped she would. For some reason, even though I liked her a lot, I kept wanting more and more from her. With every word, every scene, I kept wishing something more happened. The Osprey's are a group of children who were orphaned along with Wil and they' re in hiding until they can come back into the limelight. In my opinion, should have gotten more time in the book because I think they would have added something great to the story but alas, this did not happen. They were a fun bunch and I wanted more form them. Patrick, in particular, for reasons, should have been more involved in the plot! Tobiah, in my opinion, was a character that wasn't necessary to the story but in a way, I'm glad he was there. Black Knife is a vigilante who comes to the rescue of the poor people in the city where the book is set and I liked him a lot. He added some fun to the plot. But there was something that really bothered my about this book:

The predicability for certain aspects of this book was frustrating because I wanted there to be more mystery surrounding them. Like I said, I wanted something more. Too much about this book was familiar for me to truly, truly love this book. Did I enjoy it? Yes, I did. Would I recommend it to people? Yes, I would. But I know that some people will think that this book was too familiar so please be aware of it. However, it's a good book and I think everyone should give it a chance! 

I liked this book. I would have loved this this book but it's missing a few things. I would re-read this book if I wanted something good to read. I would recommend it to some people but with reservations.

Y'all, this is a good book as you can tell from my review. Some aspects of the book didn't work for me because they were far too familiar but I think more people should give this book a chance! I wanted more adventure and more mystery but overall, it was not too bad.  
THIS COVER IS SO PRETTY OH MY GOSH I WANT IT SO BADLY. *ahem* I love the colors and the model's pose and the background just looks so stunning! There is so much about this cover that represents the events in this book and man, I honestly just love it. There is something about fantasy novels where the covers can be absolutely incredible. 
\

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS