Tuesday, July 28, 2015

A Glimpse of India: Introduction

Still working on this graphic! 
Hello everyone! I hope you all are having a wonderful day! Today I want to introduce a new feature on my blog! I've been debating about doing this for a while and now that I really feel up to it, I'm excited to get started in sharing these posts with you guys!

Where did the inspiration come from?

Well, for those of you who don't know, even though I'm an American citizen, I was born in India. I moved to this wonderful country at the age of six and it was a very crazy time. I remember the first thought of seeing Atlanta out of the airplane's window were the soaring skyscrapers. I'd been in large cities in India but there was something so different about America. I mean, it was America. Before we left, we had to spend about a year getting our passports and Visa's (which is an incredibly long and arduous process might I add), I was so excited to go to this new place. My dad had moved to the U.S. in 2000 so I'd heard plenty of stories. So after I moved, it quickly became apparent that we weren't leaving. My dad applied for a Green card and when my dad said no to a job offer in India after about five year, our Green cards came and there was no going back. 

Why did I want to start this?

While I was extremely excited about this, I knew that it wasn't going to be easy to adapt to an American lifestyle. Coming from two vastly different cultures was hard and I still don't have it down. The more years that passed and the more ignorance I came across, I decided that I wanted to speak up more. I wanted to talk and educate more people about my culture, my first country, and so much more. 

With so much talk about diversity in books and entertainment and in blogging, I wanted to throw my hat into the game. There are so many misconceptions about India and the culture and the people that I thought "why not create a feature all about India?" I am Indian born but an American citizen and I love both countries dearly. With so much in the world already about the U.S. I thought I'd share more about my homeland, the country where I was born and even with its faults, I will always love. These posts are as much for me as they are for you. I want people to see India as more than just a developing country with dirty streets where cows roam free. India's a beautiful, vast country of different people from all walks of life. All of the major world religions can be found here and India has one of the richest histories of all the countries of the world.

So there you have it! Now, I don't know when I'll be posting new installments but there will be a lot of them. The next installment is going to tell you more about me so that everyone knows what kinds of preconceptions/POV my other posts will have! I have posts about family, religions, entertainment, and so much more!

I hope you're as excited for this new endeavor as I am. It's a very personal project and I'm okay if you're not interested in it...just don't tell me ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS