Friday, July 31, 2015

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

           A Court of Thrones and Roses by Sarah J. Maas
Series: A Court of Thrones and Roses #1
Release Date: May 5, 2015 
Publisher: Bloomsbury Children's 
Source: Library 
A thrilling, seductive new series from New York Times bestselling author Sarah J. Maas, blending Beauty and the Beast with faerie lore.

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow grows over the faerie lands, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.

Perfect for fans of Kristin Cashore and George R. R. Martin, this first book in a sexy and action-packed new series is impossible to put down!
So this book. As I'm sitting here trying to write this review, I feel this sadness coming over me. Sadness, because unfortunalty, unlike the rest of the world, I didn't LOVELOVELOVELOVE A Court of Thorns and Roses. Frankly, I was bored through most of the book and the only reason I finished it was this childish "maybe it'll get better" mentality. Spoiler: it didn't. While the world and Feyre were my favorite part of this book, I wasn't a fan of the romance, the plot was disappointing for various reasons, and the pacing was SLOOOOOOW even though I loved the main character (and Lucien!) and the world was utterly fantastic!


So lets get into the review with a positive spin! Feyre was kickass and I loved her. She's strong willed and does whatever she can to help her family. She has to use her brain and all the skills she's acquired throughout the years to help her survive and I LOVED that about her. The aspects of this book that brought in East of the Sun and West of the Moon were some of my favorites and I actually enjoyed it a lot! I did guess the answer to a certain riddle as soon as I read it because the answer was so obvious but other wise, I enjoyed reading about how Feyre would save herself and the man she loved. I should at this time also mention Lucien, a young (well, he's not young actually. He's really rather old!) Fae who you'll meet early on in the book and he is by far one of the best aspects of this book! He was prickly and hilarious and loyal to boot and I loved him. I can't wait for more!

The world was my absolute favorite aspect of this novel and I can't rave about it enough. First, the book has a MAP which we know is always a wonderful thing but besides the map, so much of this world is almost perfection. From the beautiful landscapes I could picture in my head, to the sad and at times scary history, Sarah J. Maas's abilities to create a vivid world that I'd fall in love with was a true delight. Fair warning, a lot of the history of this world is told at paragraph lengths but told as it's told in a story like format, I actually enjoyed it a lot. For the first time, I think I didn't mind info dumps.

Now, this is sort of a Beauty and the Beast/East of the Sun and West of the Moon retelling so I was excited for the Beauty and the Beast because hello, it's my favorite fairy tale because of the hate to love romance. I was honestly hoping that Tamlin and Feyre's love story would be a hate to love story but sadly...it wasn't. Honestly, I didn't like the romance between Feyre and Tamlin because it was...bland. There wasn't enough arguing and sparks were not flying and I wasn't shipping them together.
Rhysand, when he enters the picture, was actually far more engaging and lively but I'm not happy with the love triangle ish vibe I'm getting from this. BUT even if I didn't like it, it wasn't a bad romance at all. Frankly, the romance just wasn't for me and as many, many people have loved it, I'm clearly the black sheep of the blogsphere (as always). This is however, a New Adult novel, and as such, there is steamy, sexy scenes in this book that lots of people loved. Since I found the romance lack luster, I wasn't as interested in the sexy times either.

Honestly, y'all, plenty of people have loved this book and I can understand why but it just wasn't for me. Sarah J. Maas's writing, however, has improved quite a bit and the world cerated in this book was phenomenal. It love when an author can transport me to their world and show me how everything comes together. The biggest thing I'm wondering is what the next book is going to be about. My thought? I kinda want Rhysand to get together with Feyre's older sister (I don't remember her name at all) because 1) no love triangle and 2) I think she needs some love!

It’s an okay book. I don’t dislike it but I'll probably not re-read this book. I would recommend it to some people but it won't be the first book to pop into my mind.
Couldn't understand the hype. 
 
I actually LOVE this cover! It's beautiful and I LOVE the red and when you have the cover in your hand, you can actually see the details in the outfit.
ACOTAR was in a word, boring. I ended up wanting more from the romance/the world/the plot. A good start to a new series but not the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS