Saturday, August 29, 2015

Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas

           Again the Magic by Lisa Kleypas
Series: Wallflowers 0.5
Release Date: January 1, 2004
Publisher: Avon
Source: Library 
She gave him her innocence…

Lady Aline Marsden was brought up for one reason: to make an advantageous marriage to a member of her own class. Instead, she willingly gave her innocence to John McKenna, a servant on her father's estate. Their passionate transgression was unforgivable—John was sent away, and Aline was left to live in the countryside…an exile from London society.

…and he took her love.
Now McKenna has made his fortune, and he has returned—more boldly handsome and more mesmerizing than before. His ruthless plan is to take revenge on the woman who shattered his dreams of love. But the magic between them burns as bright as ever. And now he must decide whether to let vengeance take its toll…or risk everything for his first, and only, love.
When it comes to prequels for adult romance novels, they tend to be about one hundred or so pages. So imagine my surprise when this prequel to Lisa Kleypas's Wallflowers was a full length novel at 391 pages! I'd had this series on my radar for years but it wasn't until I read Kelly's reviews of the series that I decided I'd finally check them out from the library and see how I felt about it. Needless to say, I loved Again the Night and I can't wait to read the rest of the series.

If this book is any indication of what the rest of this series is going to be like, I'm ready for it all. The plot went with two tropes I LOVE: second chance romances and hate-to-love romance. And oh, boy was this a romance I would love! From the beginning, Aline and John McKenna--called McKenna because there were too many Johns on the estate already--had a forbidden romance. I mean, a lady and a servant? That can never happen. And because of this, once their romance is found out, they are separated. Of course, the book really begins when McKenna comes back hell bent on revenge. But what follows is love... Y'all, Aline and McKenna really, truly love each other even when they're young and reading those few chapters, it's so easy to see it. Their love, their loss, and their anger was so palpable that my heart went out to them. There's nothing worse than social class separating two people from being together especially if they are each others one true love. I’m also a die hard romantic so I was basically rooting for them from the very beginning.

As much as I liked Aline, McKenna was my favorite. He’s tall and looks almost ruthless and is an unconventionally handsome which all makes for a irresistible man! While he always knew that being with Aline would be near impossible, he still loved her after all that time--12 years to be exact so I have to insert this gif:
Anyways, back to McKenna! He was hurt after everything that happened with Aline but he never got over her. So when they see each other again, he wants to exact his revenge on her...but he loves her too much to harm her. Seeing his struggle with his feelings, the world's expectations and rules, and just what the future held for me was one of the best parts of this novel.

Now, I liked Aline a lot but unfortunately, there were some aspects of her character I couldn't get past. For one, her big secret--why she wouldn't get close to McKenna--seemed trivial to me. I understand that society was different during that time but the things she worried about seemed ridiculous to me! But more so, it's not as if McKenna would have cared about this secret of hers. I wanted her love for McKenna to be enough for them to get past all of the issues.

Overall, y'all, this was another win for Lisa Kleypas! It's a new series I've fallen head over heels in love with and I can't wait to begin the rest of the books. This was so sweet, romantic, and adorable that I couldn't help be keep thinking of Aline and McKenna even after I closed the book. If you like romance novels, please, please give this book a try! And come back to tell me if you could stop your self from getting the first book in the series.

BFF 
This book is pretty great but it’s missing something that would make it extremely special. I might re-read this book, possibly more than once. I would recommend this book to lots of my friends and some of my colleagues.

This book was so close to being my all time favorites but alas, it didn't get there! However, I know that I'll be rereading this book if I'm ever in the mood for it and I would recommend it to everyone!

Why oh why do all romance novels have the same covers????? I don't understand this at all!


Again the Magic was a fun, romantic introduction to the Wallflowers Series! It features a second chance romance and it's a whole lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS